Re: My SCA Persona

  • xina007eu
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 1, 2003
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Steven Proctor <sproctor@s...>
      wrote:
      > OK, this pinged pretty damn high on my harsh-o-meter. Lets try to
      keep
      > things civil, people....
      >
      > Ta
      >
      > Adhemar
      > List Moderator
      >

      > xina007eu wrote:
      >
      > > This is not information but fantasy.
      > >
      > > Christina
      >
      > --
      > It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.
      > It is by the beans of Java that the thoughts acquire speed,
      > the hands acquire the shakes; the shakes become a warning.
      > It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.

      And what is civil about claiming that an existing historical person
      raped a 12 year old girl? Is that OK? IMHO, raping children is not
      funny or interesting and I don't think it's an appropriate part of a
      persona's story. How can you guys read this and obviousy think it's
      nothing special? And especially how can you the other women in this
      group read this and not react?
      Best regards,

      Christina
    • xina007eu
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 1, 2003
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "sismith42" <sismith42@y...>
        wrote:

        > > This is not information but fantasy. Ottone Visconti, as you say,
        >
        > Wow. Why the viscious attack? I feel cold & shakey, & it wasn;t
        > even directed at me!

        And I felt cold and shakey when I read the bit about raping a 12 year
        old girl. How can you read this story and shrug it off as something
        normal or acceptable?
      • Steven Proctor
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 1, 2003
          Actually what she *said* was 'made her his wife', which would preclude
          it being rape, in at least the technical sense. While it may be
          abhorrent to the modern sensibilities, it is not unheard of in period.
          While it's not something *I* would include in a persona story, or
          encourage others to (as it's far more the exception than the rule) it's
          not a completely invalid.

          Please moderate you tone. I understand that you are feeling strongly
          about this, but attacking other list members is not going to make your
          point.

          Ta

          Adhemar

          --
          It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.
          It is by the beans of Java that the thoughts acquire speed,
          the hands acquire the shakes; the shakes become a warning.
          It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.
        • sismith42
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 1, 2003
            > And I felt cold and shakey when I read the bit about raping a 12
            year old girl. How can you read this story and shrug it off as

            By not reading " He then took my mother and made her his wife as she
            was only 12 year old. Or something to this affect." as a rape
            scene. Maybe it was intended to mean that & I'm naieve, maybe she
            _didn't_ mean that interpretation at all... Benefit of the doubt,
            innocent until proven guilty, & all that...

            >something normal or acceptable?

            Why do you think I'm looking at this as normal or acceptable? The
            attitude of this list has luckilly been (as I see it) "try not to
            bat an eye and educate" (remember the girl who wanted to do
            a "kidnapped by pirates" persona, and how people were kind about
            disuading her... and found ways to give her something similar, but
            historically correct?). You made a lot of good, accurate points...
            but the anger in it. wow.

            Stefania
          • raven_moonsinger
            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 1, 2003
              Dear Christina,

              It's not that rape is acceptable or civil, especially to children.
              And it's also not that one should not try to explain to someone the
              implications of what they had just written. I don't think she (the
              author of the persona story) was deliberately trying to slander or
              hurt anyone, but just hadn't realized the full consequenses of her
              story (sort of like if you push over a chair with a glass of milk on
              it, you might forget about the milk and then be surprised to have it
              covering your carpet). The problem is that you reacted to her not as
              a person who might have made a mistake, but as some sort of terrible
              evil person who was deliberately trying to hurt someone. If she were
              right in front of you, I doubt you'd have said something that
              strongly. Before yelling at her, you could have simply asked, "Did
              you realize that your persona story implies that this rape actually
              happened?" and go on about meeting a real Visconti descendant (that
              part was also fine and very educative) as well as age discrepancies,
              etc. It just seems that you forgot you were writing to a real person
              who has feelings and makes mistakes. If you had done something
              without thinking (and we all have), I'm sure you wouldn't have wanted
              her (or someone else) to come screaming at you for it before/while
              explaining why. You'd have wanted to find out why FIRST and then, if
              you kept doing it, THEN you might expect some backlash. In other
              words, if you had explained to her that her story had these
              implications and then she wrote a new story, very similar to the
              first, but perhaps with different historical persons, you could then
              say something like, "You're still doing it!". She made the mistake
              of forgetting that historical people really existed, and I hope you
              made the mistake of forgetting she did (that is, I hope it was a
              mistake and not a deliberate hurting of her knowing that it could
              have been a mistake and that she is a real person).

              *shrugs* I agree that you were too harsh on her, not because you
              didn't raise good points, but because you assumed she was
              deliberately trying to hurt someone, rather than making a mistake or
              not realizing the full implications of what she was doing. We all
              get lots (too many at times) of messages in our inboxes, and it is
              sometimes difficult to rememeber that the people who wrote them are
              as real as we are. In fact, I think Adhemar's instruction on "Let's
              try to be civil" applies to everyone, not just you, but to those of
              us who might write to you ourselves. And I am truly hoping that I
              have not said anything offensive, as I am merely trying to explain
              why your remarks might have hurt her. I was definitely *not* trying
              to hurt you in the process, and I hope no one else did/does.

              Alienor

              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "xina007eu"

            • hasoferet@aol.com
              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 1, 2003
                In a message dated 9/1/03 10:22:26 AM, Christina_Lemke@... writes:

                << And especially how can you the other women in this

                group read this and not react? >>

                My understanding of the original post was that the person in question took a
                twelve year old girl as his wife. Rape was not mentioned. I agree that since
                he appears to have been an archbishop, this is _highly_ improbable, and twelve
                is dang young for a girl to marry in most of our times and places. (Not all.)

                However, while the persona story as posted doesn't strike me as real
                historical, it also doesn't strike me as the monstrosity you're clearly seeing. All of
                history, and the present day as well, is full of enough horrors happening to
                women to keep me fully nauseated at all times, without being overly concerned
                about fictional accounts from the thirteenth century.

                I'm sorry this has disturbed you so deeply, (I've been there), although I
                think some of your concern is misplaced (the modern day Viscontis are probably
                pretty well used to the idea that some of their ancestors were right bastards.
                You didn't rule a Renaissance city only by being a sweetheart.) Please don't
                interpret my silence on it as indifference to the rights of children and women,
                only to a sense that this particular situation was not one that needed my
                social/political intervention.

                Be well,

                Raquel

                +____________________________________+
                Do not beg. Do not refuse. Preserve. Bestow.

                --Colman mac Beognae, 'The Alphabet of Devotion
              • cti1572
                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 1, 2003
                  Just for the record, it appears that there is going to be one less
                  new person learning from this group about authenticity. I've been in
                  private contact with this person, and the intensity of the flame that
                  just kept coming at her has driven this lady (who is so hungry for
                  knowledge) off the list. Too bad she couldn't have been treated like
                  the last person with a "kidnapped by pirates" persona story. When you
                  hit someone with a tank, you often don't get a second chance to make
                  it all better.

                  -jehan
                • Anthony J. Bryant
                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 1, 2003
                    Tangwystyl wrote:

                    > >BTW, I *did* get your wonderful, lengthy response to my Q. about
                    > >Welsh -- As it came during the War, I stuck it and all the more
                    > >lengthy messages needing responses into my "deal with this" file --
                    > >which I was never able to deal with owing to the recent disc
                    > >Whoopsie. If by chance your computer archives messages you send, I'd
                    > >love to see it again.
                    >
                    > Since I haven't purged my "copies of outgoing messages" file
                    > recently, I should still have it. (In theory, every month or so, I
                    > go through and sort off all the outgoing messages that I want to
                    > archive. Right now, it's been about three months ....) I'll forward
                    > it to you privately.

                    Thanks!! You're a lifesaver. (Wintergreen --- not one of those icky fruit flavors, either!)

                    Effingham
                  • Jan C. Lane
                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 2, 2003
                      Another note on that 12-year-old girl being married....marriages among
                      persons that young have been documented. However, the marriage may not have
                      been consummated for some time. Unless he's a pedophile (and we WON'T go
                      there), an older man taking a child bride would be quite aware of the need
                      to wait until she was mature enough for consummation.

                      In service,

                      Jannifer
                    • bronwynmgn@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 2, 2003
                        In a message dated 9/1/2003 3:10:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                        Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

                        > And what is civil about claiming that an existing historical person
                        > raped a 12 year old girl? Is that OK? IMHO, raping children is not
                        > funny or interesting and I don't think it's an appropriate part of a
                        > persona's story. How can you guys read this and obviousy think it's
                        > nothing special? And especially how can you the other women in this
                        > group read this and not react?

                        It was your response that wasn't civil. There are lots of other ways you
                        could have told this girl that you didn't care for her persona story without
                        making her out to be an insensitive nitwit.
                        And frankly, things like rape did happen to 12 year old girls in history, and
                        there are an awful lot of real people in history who might have had a similar
                        persona story to a young girl married off to an older man, possibly against
                        her will...the story of January and May in the Canterbury Tales is a period
                        fictional example, and the wife of Le Menagier of Paris a real-life one. In any
                        case, she never said that Ottone Visconti raped her mother; she said that "He
                        then took my mother and made her his wife as she was only 12 year old."
                        And if you aren't aware that churchmen, up to and including some popes, had
                        mistresses and fathered children, (and I'd bet some of the deMedici popes
                        weren't above rape), and that clerical celibacy was not always a required or even
                        accepted thing even during the SCA period, then you need to read some more
                        history yourself.

                        Brangwayna Morgan