Re: [Authentic_SCA] period?

  • Dianne & Greg Stucki
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2003
      From: <bronwynmgn@...>
      To: <Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, September 01, 2003 9:30 AM
      Subject: Re: [Authentic_SCA] period?

      > In a message dated 9/1/2003 5:09:55 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      > Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:
      >
      > > What period would this pattern work for, if any?
      > > http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/butterick/shop.cgi?
      > > s.item.3552=x&TI='3552'&pageNum=1&M=&UK=30855040
      > > Decided to ask before I did a major search.

      Actually, it looks to me like a pretty close copy of the Accolade dress.
      Beautiful, but not authentic to any one time period.

      Laurensa
    • Marianne Perdomo Machin
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2003

        > What period would this pattern work for, if any?
        > http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/butterick/shop.cgi?
        > s.item.3552=x&TI='3552'&pageNum=1&M=&UK=30855040

        I think the pattern would be different but the general look reminds me
        of early 16th century "French gowns". These were used in Spain around
        1520 or so, though I'm sure other places had something similar. They
        have the low-cut square neckline and the wide "angel" sleeves, but (I
        believe) don't have the "armband" decoration.
        The problem is that the skirt is usually gathered onto the bodice part
        of the gown, so I think the look would be different in that area.
        Still, it's another alternative to consider.
        If you're interested try to check out Ruth M. Anderson's "Hispanic
        Costume 1480-1530".

        All the best!

        Marianne