re: period?

  • Carolin
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2003

      >Hello,
      >I'm cross posting a bit, so if you've seen this before, ignor it
      >please.
      >
      >What period would this pattern work for, if any?
      >http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/butterick/shop.cgi?
      >s.item.3552=x&TI='3552'&pageNum=1&M=&UK=30855040
      >Decided to ask before I did a major search. I'd rather do the
      >least amount of alterations as possible, but I'd like a good SCA
      >dress. I AM planning on doing lacing rather than a zipper. I've got
      >my material that I know is not period, since it has a polyester
      >feel. I got it from the dollar a yard rack (so excited about that).
      >It is a good fabric, but a dollar because it was a remnant and they
      >don't say the fabric type with remnants.
      >
      >So help please! I love this pattern!
      >Sarah

      From what I can tell it is similar to a bliaut which would be a
      garment of the 12th c. ... I also have some rather crude redrawings
      (no not Norris, German book... ) of paintings with 12th c dresses
      dresses like that, but they would follow more a T tunic like pattern
      and also have side lacing to get some form fitting.
      The pattern itself... well if you want to create something that looks
      authentic: don't use the pattern. The neckline looks wrong, they
      would not have used princess seams (the thing coming closest to
      princess seams is the 10 gore dress found in Herjolfsnes, but these
      aren't princess seams either, just seams going down the side, more or
      less under the arm).
      Now, after I told you, don't use the pattern... there should be an
      alternative, right... hm... I only have some of the pages with
      research on bliauts, but that should help:
      Marguerie's Bliaut page:
      http://jauncourt.i8.com/bliautho.htm
      She is on this list as well I think and will for sure be able to help
      you with further questions.
      Arianne de Chateaumichel has another website on the bliaut (that my
      computer doesn't want to load right now, I hope it is only temporary):
      http://www.chateau-michel.org/belle_bliaut.htm

      Good luck!

      --
      Yours,
      Carolin

      ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
      Carolin vom Adlersberg Barony of Storvik, Atlantia
      http://www.fairyforest.org/sca
    • Dianne & Greg Stucki
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2003
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2003

          > What period would this pattern work for, if any?
          > http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/butterick/shop.cgi?
          > s.item.3552=x&TI='3552'&pageNum=1&M=&UK=30855040

          I think the pattern would be different but the general look reminds me
          of early 16th century "French gowns". These were used in Spain around
          1520 or so, though I'm sure other places had something similar. They
          have the low-cut square neckline and the wide "angel" sleeves, but (I
          believe) don't have the "armband" decoration.
          The problem is that the skirt is usually gathered onto the bodice part
          of the gown, so I think the look would be different in that area.
          Still, it's another alternative to consider.
          If you're interested try to check out Ruth M. Anderson's "Hispanic
          Costume 1480-1530".

          All the best!

          Marianne