Re: Moth Repellant Herbs

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 6, 2003
      I know there are additional references to deterring moths, and I'm
      trying to remember 'em.

      Le Menagier de Paris has a fairly long bit on dreadful vermin and how
      to avoid them; he advises that bedlinens and bedding be aired to deter
      moths, fleas, etc. (On the other hand, he also suggests drying
      Proven´┐Żal roses and spreading them in one's clothes; this seems to be
      more for a scent rather than to avoid vermin.)

      Lines 565-568 of the Wife of Bath's Prologue go thusly:

      And wered upon my gaye scarlet gytes.
      Thise wormes ne thise motthes, ne thise mytes,
      Upon my peril, frete hem never a deel;
      And wostow why? for they were used weel!

      Karen