Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: [Fwd: [EK] The Historic Combat Series at Pennsic XXXII]

  • Cannoneer
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2003
      At 09:39 PM 8/1/2003 +0000, you wrote:
      > Should we ban
      >bucklers? Sure, some folks might just parry with them, but you never
      >know, next thing you know, folks will be punching with them at full
      >force below the belt.
      >
      >We're all adults here, and if someone fails to act like one, they
      >should be suspended from fighting.

      I'll give you another scenario. I use an active parry, I reach out with my
      buckler (12" steel) to catch my opponents blade while it is in the guard
      position. I use it only against the weapon, but how soon before someone
      decides that I *could* decide to use it against my opponent's body. We're
      making contingency plans against problems that don't exist, or things that
      aren't problems in anyone's mind but the paranoid.

      Hawkyns

      Roderic Hawkyns
      Master Gunner

      Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl

      Its like I always say, you get more with a kind word and a two-by-four then
      with just a two-by-four - Marcus Cole