Re: Alternatives to "bardic"

  • Woodrow Hill
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2003
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Maura Folsom <lady_m_de_j@s...>
      wrote:
      > Gregory wrote:
      > I have had a thought, which, like many thoughts, may be irrelevant and
      > therefore dismissed or forgotten. However, here it is. As an
      alternative
      > to the non-period term 'bardic', why don't we use something like
      > "Entertainment Studies". That's what is meant, isn't it, by the blanket
      > use of the term 'bardic'?

      Hmmm.
      Works for University, but not so well around a campfire, I should
      think. I'd love to see a more period-ish, generic term, and it's a
      excellent idea! :)

      > My persona calls poets and entertainers troubadors and jongleurs, but
      > the rest of you probably don't...So period terms are mostly Right Out
      > since there are no real universal blanket terms in period.

      Agreed in principle, although there are plenty of terms we use
      generically under those circumstances, since there are no direct
      translations.
      I'm actually sitting on one such problem -- I found the period term(s)
      for "hofla", and that such a concept is 100% period, at least in the
      Maghrib (North Africa) in period. So, I jump between trying to tackle
      an attempt to sway minds, verses letting sleeping dogs lie.

      > Marguerie, just musing

      ----asim, just dreaming of Pennsic
    • Greg Lindahl
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2003
        On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 08:21:16PM -0000, Lady_Lark_Azure wrote:

        > Even though I have held the title of "Queen's Bardic
        > Champion"

        I have seen several people ask the Crowns for a boon, to be allowed to
        use a different term, like "Queen's Musician" or "Queen's Minstrel",
        while they hold such titles. I've never seen a Crown say "no".

        -- Gregory
      • Lady_Lark_Azure
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2003
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Greg Lindahl <lindahl@p...>
          wrote:
          > On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 08:21:16PM -0000, Lady_Lark_Azure wrote:
          >
          > > Even though I have held the title of "Queen's Bardic
          > > Champion"
          >
          > I have seen several people ask the Crowns for a boon, to be allowed
          > use a different term, like "Queen's Musician" or "Queen's Minstrel",
          > while they hold such titles. I've never seen a Crown say "no".
          >
          > -- Gregory

          You know, I never thought about that. It's one of those things where
          I was thinking, "it's the title, I'll live with it."
        • ladymorwenna
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2003
            > > Even though I have held the title of "Queen's Bardic
            > > Champion"
            >
            > I have seen several people ask the Crowns for a boon, to be allowed to
            > use a different term, like "Queen's Musician" or "Queen's Minstrel",
            > while they hold such titles. I've never seen a Crown say "no".
            >
            > -- Gregory

            I never bothered to ask permission. I just called myself "Storyteller
            to the King/Queen", following Yevsha's lead from the year before. I
            tolerated "Bardic Champion" and used it when people were clueless
            about my position (and right to enter the Royal Room), but I never let
            anyone call me a "Bard". It's just not right for an Elizabethan lady.

            --Morwenna
          • wodeford
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 1, 2003
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Lady_Lark_Azure"
              <jenniferanne21@n...> wrote:
              > Jehanne must not be on list because I know this is one of her pet
              > peeves too.

              Don't.
              Get.
              Me.
              Started.

              Jehanne de Wodeford
              Amateur musician and stuffed monkey wrangler
            • Maura Folsom
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 1, 2003
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Woodrow Hill" <asim@m...> wrote:
                > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Maura Folsom <lady_m_de_j@s...>
                > wrote:
                > > why don't we use something like
                > > "Entertainment Studies". That's what is meant, isn't it, by the
                blanket
                > > use of the term 'bardic'?
                >
                > Hmmm.
                > Works for University, but not so well around a campfire, I should
                > think. I'd love to see a more period-ish, generic term, and it's a
                > excellent idea! :)

                Well, for around the fire, I'd just call it "Entertainment". Short,
                catchy, period... Now I'm just being wicked. But, really, for around
                the fire, or in court, or whatever, it's the entertainment, so why
                don't we just call it that? I was certainly called so in period, or
                something that translates well enough to entertaiment or entertainments.

                Marguerie, who should be getting back to housework
              • hasoferet@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 1, 2003
                  In a message dated 8/1/2003 12:32:46 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                  lady_m_de_j@... writes:

                  > I have had a thought, which, like many thoughts, may be irrelevant and
                  > therefore dismissed or forgotten. However, here it is. As an alternative
                  > to the non-period term 'bardic', why don't we use something like
                  > "Entertainment Studies". That's what is meant, isn't it, by the blanket
                  > use of the term 'bardic'?

                  Literary and Musical Arts? To be known as L&M?

                  Raquel

                • Ii Saburou
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 1, 2003
                    On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 hasoferet@... wrote:

                    > > I have had a thought, which, like many thoughts, may be irrelevant and
                    > > therefore dismissed or forgotten. However, here it is. As an alternative
                    > > to the non-period term 'bardic', why don't we use something like
                    > > "Entertainment Studies". That's what is meant, isn't it, by the blanket
                    > > use of the term 'bardic'?
                    >
                    > Literary and Musical Arts? To be known as L&M?

                    I seem to recall that in the quadrivium(sp?) of a medieval University's
                    seven general topics was 'music'. What is wrong with calling it 'music'?

                    Or are we entertaining all performing arts? Hmmm... searching for
                    quadrivium....

                    Music... grammar and rhetoric... doesn't really fit.

                    What about 'Performing Arts'? Or 'Theatrical Arts'?

                    'Performing Arts' makes the most sense to me.

                    -Ii, who should be packing but needs his DP break.