Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re:Cross dressing, lesbians and the law

  • Kirrily Robert
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 1, 2003
      Leah wrote:
      > On a sidenote: With all this discussion of lesbianism in the past, I'm
      > begining to wonder if that might not be why my persona has been single for
      > her entire life (35 years), inherited her business from her father, and been
      > willing to wander the world for the past 15+ years!? And how would I, as a
      > straight woman, begin to even imagine being able to play such a persona
      > without making a serious *ss out of herself and embarassing herself and
      > every single gay woman out there!? Something I am seriously considering.

      I think it's like what was discussed for religious personae a while ago.
      If you do it with respect, then anyone who has a problem with it is
      *their* problem, not yours.

      Yours,

      Katherine

      katherine@... http://infotrope.net/sca/
    • Kirrily Robert
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 1, 2003
        Agnese wrote:
        > if only to disconsert the Ealdormerian men.
        > ..which doesn't take much...

        *snerk*

        Tell me, did we meet, or perhaps not-quite-meet, at the Cooks and Bards
        collegium last October? Your name rings a faint bell but I'm not sure
        whether we've met or not.

      • hasoferet@aol.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 1, 2003
          In a message dated 7/31/2003 11:41:28 PM Pacific Standard Time,
          ahelou@... writes:

          > I also think, though, that I may "retire"
          > that aspect of the persona eventually - it's not usually something one keeps
          >
          > up forever.

          Wait until you're elderly...say twenty-five or so...and marry a dashing
          widower with a beautiful library housed a country villa?

          Raquel

        • hasoferet@aol.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 1, 2003
            In a message dated 8/1/2003 7:25:20 AM Pacific Standard Time,
            kmaitland@... writes:

            > Very possible, but it is just as likely that the men in your persona's life
            > could not handle a strong independent woman. LOL. Now that I think of it, I
            > do not recall in my research and reading any of the Black businesswomen of
            > late period Spain (and mid-period Egypt) being married either.

            On the other hand, the Cairo Geniza has documents covering the life of a
            strong-minded businesswoman named Wuhsha who seems to at least have had a
            gentleman in her life, and I seem to recall that the Prophet Mohammed's first wife was
            intitally his boss. I think a successful business woman can generally find a
            husband if she wants one. ;)

            Raquel

          • Leah A. Montgomery
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 1, 2003
              >It doesn't need to be embarrassing to anyone if it's played subtly and
              >honestly - or, perhaps, not even "played" at all.

              And after talking it through with my husband last night, I realized that I
              could just play her as if she has been like this all along, without making
              any changes to her at all. The two big things are that she has never been in
              a relationship with a man, and she is always around women and her friends
              are women. This may not seem to big considering the era that we are playing,
              but she is a world wise character and not all places in the world are female
              backwards, including her own home, where if a woman obviously isn't going to
              do the normal thing of marriage home kids, she's frequently accepted as 'one
              of the boys' so to speak. So I make no changes to her at all, and continue
              to play her as I have been.

              Leah A. Montgomery
              SCA: Safia bint Wahib al Marakeshi called Samira
              Head of Byat Al Viola Hirrar
              Bryn Gwlad, Ansteorra (Austin, TX)
              mog_bane@...

            • ahelou
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 1, 2003
                >===== Original Message From hasoferet@... =====
                >Wait until you're elderly...say twenty-five or so...and marry a dashing
                >widower with a beautiful library housed a country villa?
                >
                >Raquel

                Yeah, that's the general idea <g>.

                Vittoria
              • Heather Rose Jones
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 1, 2003
                  > >===== Original Message From "Leah A. Montgomery"
                  ><mog_bane@...> =====
                  >>On a sidenote: With all this discussion of lesbianism in the past, I'm
                  >>begining to wonder if that might not be why my persona has been single for
                  >>her entire life (35 years), inherited her business from her father, and been
                  >>willing to wander the world for the past 15+ years!? And how would I, as a
                  >>straight woman, begin to even imagine being able to play such a persona
                  >>without making a serious *ss out of herself and embarassing herself and
                  > >every single gay woman out there!? Something I am seriously considering.

                  If a woman is looking for historic contexts in which to be unmarried,
                  I think there are a lot more obvious ones than lesbianism. For
                  several years I've been promoting the book:

                  Bennett, Judith M. & Amy M. Froide eds.. 1999. Singlewomen in the
                  European Past 1250-1800. Univerisy of Pennsylvania Press,
                  Philadelphia. ISBN 0-8122-1668-7

                  This collection of papers addresses issues around single women (by
                  various definitions) in a wide variety of cultures, eras and
                  contexts. If there is a single take-home message, it's that no valid
                  generalizations can be made across Europe and across the centuries
                  about what women did or did not do with regard to marriage or the
                  lack thereof.

                  It's a great book for disabusing oneself of a lot of the myths and
                  "common knowledge) around the subject (e.g., expected age of
                  marriage, proportion of non-married women at various life stages,
                  economic options for unmarried women). And the book was recently
                  listed in the UPenn book catalog at a drastically reduced price, so
                  there's no excuse for anyone not to buy a copy!

                  Oh, and note that one of the editors is the Judith Bennett whose name
                  has come up previously in this thread. She is a goddess among
                  historians. I worship at her feet.

                  Tangwystyl
                  --
                  *****
                  Heather Rose Jones
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 3, 2003
                    "With all this discussion of lesbianism in the past, I'm beginning to wonder
                    if that might not be why my persona has been single for her entire life (35
                    years), inherited her business from her father, and been willing to wander
                    the world for the past 15+ years!?"

                    It's a good thing to remember that sexuality, like many other things in
                    life, isn't a black and white issue. We have those who are exclusively
                    homosexual at one end and those who are exclusively heterosexual at the
                    other and those who are truly bisexual in the middle. By "exclusively", I
                    mean that these persons have never had sexual experiences or desires other
                    than those of their orientation. However, there's a whole lot of room
                    in-between the exclusives.

                    Now, the definitions rely on both sexual desire and sexual practice. A
                    woman who has never married may not be homosexual at all. The same can be
                    said of a man. Perhaps she has never met a man whom she felt was worthy of
                    her. Perhaps her goals lie in other directions. After all, she's
                    financially independent and may not want children. Perhaps the thought of
                    sexual intimacy in any form is frightening. Perhaps she's simply not
                    interested in sex with anyone, male or female. In other words, there are
                    many reasons why people don't marry, and sexual orientation isn't the only
                    one. :)

                    In service,

                    Jannifer
                  • Jehan du Lac
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 3, 2003
                      You have said well, madame. There are many reasons not to marry. My
                      brother Anne is one such. As a minister of the Reform he is not
                      constrained to celibacy like a papist, but he prefereth the comfort of
                      his Greek and Hebrew texts and as to heirs I consider that he regardeth
                      those he hath taught at Strasbourg, Geneva, and Saumur as his children
                      in some fashion. But I do not think he useth those habits well-known
                      amongst schoolmasters, though he be firm with the rod. Mr. Knowlton's
                      opinion that no woman would have him should be disregarded as he is no
                      good judge of that. And amongst the country people where I dwell many
                      of their daughters go into service in the towns, many hoping thereby to
                      earn their dowries, but not all doe and so many remain single and many
                      sons are constrained to remain boys all their life for fear of dividing
                      the patrimony of the family and indeed such concern is shown as well
                      amongst the noblesse, who are possessed of more and the more jealous to
                      guard it, not spending the family heritage on dowries and jointures and
                      the like unless there is benefit to be gained and in Italy I have heard
                      many of the daughters are sent into convents to save the family the
                      expense, to the girls' great displeasure. In my own family being the
                      youngest son I was forced to find my own way with little property as
                      many Gascons do, some to great glory like M. de Monluc but many more to
                      be wasted on the fields of war, and as we all know one cannot support a
                      wife without the wherewithal to keep a house, whether amongst the menu
                      peuple or the artisans or the noblesse, and so I chose a wife late in
                      my life and lost her to the hazards all womankind are prone to,
                      although in my youth I did take my comfort with those sorts that follow
                      the camp and used them not ill for even in difficult times I did
                      provide for such issue as I had of them and now these days doe most
                      take comfort with mon sien compagnon for though he is English we share
                      a soul as did my late neighbor M. de Montaigne and his great friend La
                      Boetie even as he hath written in his great booke, and for now I am
                      content although my sister doth ever connive to find me a new wife and
                      hath even searched one out for Mr. Knowlton although he liketh none so
                      far.

                      Jehan

                      > "With all this discussion of lesbianism in the past, I'm beginning
                      > to wonder
                      > if that might not be why my persona has been single for her entire
                      > life (35
                      > years), inherited her business from her father, and been willing
                      > to wander
                      > the world for the past 15+ years!?"
                      >
                      > It's a good thing to remember that sexuality, like many other
                      > things in
                      > life, isn't a black and white issue. We have those who are
                      > exclusivelyhomosexual at one end and those who are exclusively
                      > heterosexual at the
                      > other and those who are truly bisexual in the middle. By
                      > "exclusively", I
                      > mean that these persons have never had sexual experiences or
                      > desires other
                      > than those of their orientation. However, there's a whole lot of room
                      > in-between the exclusives.
                      >
                      > Now, the definitions rely on both sexual desire and sexual
                      > practice. A
                      > woman who has never married may not be homosexual at all. The
                      > same can be
                      > said of a man. Perhaps she has never met a man whom she felt was
                      > worthy of
                      > her. Perhaps her goals lie in other directions. After all, she's
                      > financially independent and may not want children. Perhaps the
                      > thought of
                      > sexual intimacy in any form is frightening. Perhaps she's simply not
                      > interested in sex with anyone, male or female. In other words,
                      > there are
                      > many reasons why people don't marry, and sexual orientation isn't
                      > the only
                      > one. :)
                      >
                      > In service,
                      >
                      > Jannifer

                      > -~-->
                      > Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US &
                      > Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/sO0ANB/LIdGAA/ySSFAA/PJ_qlB/TM

                    • ahelou
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 3, 2003
                        >===== Original Message From Jehan du Lac <baronjehan@...> =====
                        > for even in difficult times I did
                        >provide for such issue as I had of them and now these days doe most
                        >take comfort with mon sien compagnon for though he is English we share
                        >a soul as did my late neighbor M. de Montaigne and his great friend La
                        >Boetie even as he hath written in his great booke, ...
                        >Jehan

                        Maitre Jehan,

                        If you will forgive my impertinence for joining this conversation uninvited,
                        allow me to say that, if you were indeed the neighbor of M. de Montaigne, you
                        must count yourself among the most fortunate men in France! It is only a few
                        months ago that I first had the pleasure of reading his essays, and those on
                        education I most particularly enjoyed. I have often wished to travel into
                        France (and travel, as M. de Montaigne advises, is a necessary part of the
                        best educations), for I greatly love the language, which, though not so
                        beautiful as my native Tuscan, is yet an elegant one, and I flatter myself
                        that I speak it not without some accuracy and grace; yet more than that,
                        France has in the last century produced so many great poets and philosophers,
                        that I would wish above all for the opportunity to become acquainted with
                        them. Florence does not lack in philosophers nor in scholars, but that the
                        ones I most admire should live elsewhere is a constant disappointment.

                        Vittoria
                      • Jehan du Lac
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 3, 2003
                          I have indeed visited with M. de Montaigne in his chateau and he was a
                          most amiable fellow, although grievously afflicted with the stone. He
                          hath a tower for his study and contemplation which is most pleasant
                          filled with more books than e'er I have seen in one place (or he did,
                          his wife and daughter having no use for that great library nowadays).
                          He did the king my master much good service and was well-enough
                          esteemed hereabouts that his goods and property were largely unmolested
                          during the late wars, though he be a Catholic. As to philosophy, my
                          Latin is not good and so I avoid it, my bible and psalter in the French
                          tongue being largely sufficient for me in the matter of books, although
                          I do have a great pleasure in the news and will spend a few sous when
                          the colporteur doth come by with his wares, but I confess that when M.
                          de Montaigne's book was put on sale in Bordeaux I did spend a fair bit
                          to have it bound for it did amaze me to be acquainted with one that
                          hath written such a book, and yet it had no great matter in it at all,
                          as it were, being but his own musings within himself, as if one were to
                          his closet with a bit of wine after dinner, and though he be now
                          deceased I do take some pleasure to read from his book a little and
                          hear his voice. I was much taken with his recounting of the matter of
                          the cannibals. He did ever mourn for La Boetie, though he made little
                          conversation of it with his neighbors and it is only in reading his
                          book that I heard his cry for his lost friend and so I have wondered if
                          he did but write it to find another such in this world. I do not
                          particularly know Mlle. de Gournay, his fille d'alliance, but I have no
                          doubt, gracious lady, that you would be another such to him were he
                          still living to have your acquaintance.

                          Jehan