Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: -- a gem of a challenge

  • Victoria McDonnell
    Message 1 of 87 , Jul 31, 2003
      On Thursday, July 31, 2003, at 11:55 AM, Heather Rose Jones wrote:
      > There's been a lot of good new research in this field coming out in
      > the last decade or so -- although it sometimes gets muddied up by the
      > post-modernists. But we're getting access to a lot more answers to
      > the question of how women in history might have understood these
      > types of desires and actions. (And I've got about a dozen
      > bookshelf-feet to show for it.)

      And the fact that often personas portrayed as one of the
      "extraordinary" are often done with this modern set of blinders doesn't
      help. While I'd say that there were women who practised lesbianism in
      period, it's often done incorrectly altogether when it's portrayed by a
      modern lesbian with certain ideas of community, identity and politics
      that didn't exist so much in their time/location. Being a period
      lesbian didn't mean you donned a kilt, defied all society's assigned
      roles, fought in battle, proclaimed your feminism form roof tops and
      formed a lesbian commune. Yet, this sort of thing crops up among the
      modern lesbian-period lesbian persona cross over.
      (speaking of self-disclosure)
      Ironically, I'd make a better period lesbian than a modern one. I
      chose to get married and have a family (with a man), don't know how I
      feel about gay marriage, am fairly conservative politically and am
      fairly religious. I don't fit into the established queer "community",
      but it doesn't change my sexuality itself. I've tried to be involved,
      but I'm not an activist, the few girlfriends I've had became fed up
      with my gun toting ideas and my meat eating ways. Surely one can be
      queer and not be far left? I would imagine many lesbian women in
      period were much the same. Is Isibél queer? Probably not. Not
      because she's devout Catholic, Irish or any of the other things that
      might wipe the idea from her mind. Mostly because I thought that the
      subtle clues of any alternate sexual desires would be hard to portray
      without over doing it. I need to spend far more time fleshing out
      other more visible parts of her before I worry about any deep dark
      secrets she might have :)

      > (celebrating joying the ranks of the employed today)

      YAY! Congrats Heather, now you'll have more time for fun stuff!

      --
      Victoria McDonnell
      aka Isibél inghean mhic Dhomhnaill
      Message 87 of 87 , Aug 3, 2003
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Heather Rose Jones
        <hrjones@s...> wrote:
        > Well, it's not like I'm expecting anybody to "solve" the problem for
        > me -- just airing different issues and approaches.

        You know how it is, some people see someone not having as much "fun"
        with doing whatever their thing is that the first person is having
        with -their- thing, and want to help.

        Unfortunately, persona stuff is like authenticity - no matter how much
        someone thinks other folks might like it - it's not something you can
        force another to do, especially if they are expected to -enjoy- doing it.

        > ...currently developed would be a cross-gender role, leaving the
        > "would a woman do this?" question out of the equation.) But I'd
        > have an easier time approaching a Ren Faire gig as "theater".

        I'm not sure I understand this, but ok...

        M/D