Research

  • Leah A. Montgomery
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 30 11:24 AM
      How do you go about doing research? Like at libraries, the internet, with
      museums, with people from the culture that you study, etc.

      Leah A. Montgomery
      SCA: Safia bint Wahib al Marakeshi called Samira
      Head of Byat Al Viola Hirrar
      Bryn Gwlad, Ansteorra (Austin, TX)
      mog_bane@...

    • William Harrington
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 30 1:28 PM
        It depends on the level of knowledge I already have on the topic. If I know absolutely nothing, then I start with childrens books and encyclopedias with the understanding that that is only a jumping off point and what I learn from them will be at best' woefully incomplete. Then I search both the internet and libraries. THe internet is useful for images, finding out what books are available, and occaisional articals, but it is reall easy to get distracted off your subject so a good library is the best bet. Remember, the encyclopedia and the childrens books have told you what to look for so go look for a good book on the topic. In historical terms get a good secondary or tertiary source with a good bibliography. Note down anything useful in the bibliography and start chasing it down. You may not have access to primary, or even many good secondary saources, but with enough tertiary sources you can sort of triangulate your way through the opiniorns of the various historians and
        start making your own judgements. Also, don't forget to talk to any experts you may be able to locate. They probably know more than they have ever written down.

        Dorje
        How do you go about doing research? Like at libraries, the internet, with
        museums, with people from the culture that you study, etc.

        Leah A. Montgomery
        SCA: Safia bint Wahib al Marakeshi called Samira
        Head of Byat Al Viola Hirrar
        Bryn Gwlad, Ansteorra (Austin, TX)
        mog_bane@...

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

      • demontsegur
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 30 1:44 PM
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Leah A. Montgomery"
          <mog_bane@h...> wrote:
          > How do you go about doing research? Like at libraries, the
          internet, with
          > museums, with people from the culture that you study, etc.

          Safia,

          A friend here in the East Kingdom recently posted this link from her
          website all about library research. It's thick and juicy and full of
          useful information. I envy her librarian-ness. Happy reading. :^)

          http://www.lehigh.edu/~jahb/jadwiga/libraries.html

          -Marcele
        • wodeford
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 30 3:06 PM
            <mog_bane@h...> wrote:
            > How do you go about doing research? Like at libraries,
            Yes!

            > the internet,
            Yes!

            > with museums,
            Yes! Well, when practical.

            > with people from the culture that you study, etc.
            If you can introduce me to Sei Shonagon, Thomas a Becket, Jehanne
            d'Arc, or Josquin des Pres I'm on the next plane!

            You forgot like-minded SCA folks who aim me at stuff I haven't
            explored yet or show me how to do things I've never tried.

            My other springboard for research is recorded sound. I'm a better by-
            ear musician than I am a sight reader, so I have invested heavily in
            early music CDs.

            I will use ANYTHING I can get my hands on. I had my schooling before
            the Internet existed, so I know how to use library references.
            The 'net is often useful - and even with a site that's not so great
            or well documented, I might find key words to search elsewhere. (I
            find my best stuff on those tangential trips around the web that
            others think of as time suckers.) Museums? Yes, sometimes, for some
            things, or museum websites when I can't afford a ticket to Paris or
            Kyoto or London.

            Jehanne de Wodeford
          • Heather Rose Jones
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 30 4:45 PM
              At 1:24 PM -0500 7/30/03, Leah A. Montgomery wrote:
              >How do you go about doing research? Like at libraries, the internet, with
              >museums, with people from the culture that you study, etc.

              That would be an "all of the above".

              I think I tend to do my research projects a bit upside-down from many
              people, though. I'm much more likely to start with the highly
              specific, and then work from there to the general context. So I'll
              run into an interesting artifact or incident or text and then I'll
              work outward from it, looking for similar examples, looking at the
              context of that item, trying to find background information, and so
              forth. For me, the joy is in the particular -- especially in
              particular artifacts. I want to understand how and why they came
              into being.

              Having access to a world-class university library is pretty much the
              sine qua non of my research -- I couldn't do one tenth of my current
              projects without having that. The internet is ok for brainstorming,
              but it's not all that useful for getting down and dirty in the
              sources (yet). As a whole, museums tend to fit into my research more
              as a spiritual pilgrimage than a fact-finding trip. Not that I
              haven't gotten useful data from museum visits, but the major thing
              they do for me is that overwhelming sense of, "ohmighosh this stuff
              is REAL" on a gut level, rather than just an intellectual one.

              Tangwystyl
              --
              *****
              Heather Rose Jones
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 30 6:00 PM
                I start out by doing a web search to get an overview. Then I find
                bibliographies. Then off to the library. Textile stuff is rare in
                museums, so until I can go to Europe, I pass on that one. I will
                flip between archaeological textile info and modern weaving books
                trying to figure out how they did some of that stuff.

                YMMV,
                Cassandra

                <mog_bane@h...> wrote:
                > How do you go about doing research? Like at libraries, the
                internet, with
                > museums, with people from the culture that you study, etc.
                >

                > Leah A. Montgomery
                > SCA: Safia bint Wahib al Marakeshi called Samira
                > Head of Byat Al Viola Hirrar
                > Bryn Gwlad, Ansteorra (Austin, TX)
                > mog_bane@h...

              • Agnese Inez Rusconi (in the SCA)
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 30 9:51 PM
                  Greetings from Ealdormere. Maestra Madinia forwarded the query
                  regarding research and I argee with much of what others have said:

                  > Having access to a world-class university library is pretty much
                  the
                  > sine qua non of my research -- I couldn't do one tenth of my
                  current
                  > projects without having that.

                  I hear you there. Living in Toronto I am positively spoiled rotten
                  what with the University of Toronto Libraries, particularly the
                  Pontifical Institute of Medieval Studies and the Centre for
                  Renaissance and Reformation Studies Library (helps to have an "in" on
                  staff there *grin*) not to mention Japanese Foundation of Toronto
                  Library. I literally can juggle my various library cards.

                  > The internet is ok for brainstorming,
                  > but it's not all that useful for getting down and dirty in the
                  > sources (yet).

                  I use it for brainstorming too, but I don't totally agree with the
                  statement re usage. The internet is, for me, a Godsend. Mind you, I
                  tend to research weird s--t: Black Africans in period Europe, Queer
                  Studies, "Middle Eastern" Studies, women's cultures etc.
                  The internet -- particularly the academic journal listings --often
                  lead me to the primary sources I need. [BTW,from my experience many
                  can assess ajl from their public library websites]

                  Better still, the internet has allowed me to contact grad students
                  and professors from all over. For example, my first persona was an
                  African living in Iraq -- I don't read Arabic so often I had to turn
                  to my peers (mundane) for help. Plus there are times when I need a
                  second, or third, opinion regarding an academic article. Many
                  SCAdians could stand well to learn to widen their field of contacts
                  via the Internet [or the "kiss up to academics without being annoying
                  or pretentious" factor, lol]

                  If I could offer one research tip its this: make note of very thing
                  that catches your eye for more than 10 seconds [the "hey, neat"
                  factor]. Invariably you come back to it later.*grin*

                  Agnese Inez Rusconi
                  mundanely a library technician and MLS grad school applicant

                  see www.kmaitland.ca for my Early Black History work...
                • Woodrow Hill
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 31 7:28 AM
                    <mog_bane@h...> wrote:
                    > How do you go about doing research? Like at libraries, the internet,
                    with
                    > museums, with people from the culture that you study, etc.

                    Well, if you're going to be at Pennsic, you can come to my class on
                    "Starting Middle Eastern Historical Research" (or whatever the heck I
                    titled it....)
                    I'm mostly teaching it because I had the same exact frustrations,
                    starting out. And those are multiplied by 10 when you don't live near
                    a major university, and another 10 -- if not 100 -- when dealing with
                    the Middle East.

                    OK, enough of the bad. Everyone's given very good advice on this; you
                    should follow it all. :)

                    I would say, in addition, that research really depends on step-by-step
                    concepts, and learning how to think through a writer's argument, or a
                    period source.

                    Break down what you want to research. For you, I'd ask -- are you
                    looking to build a persona, and want to start looking cool concepts
                    up? Or are you itching to find the real secret behind, say, the
                    "Ghawazee Coat"? Or discover the nature of relations between Queen
                    Elizabeth and the Ottoman Empire?
                    To me, each of those arguers for a slightly different approach to
                    starting your research. So, think about what you're looking to look up
                    first, because "How to do Research" is a HUGE topic, but "How to start
                    research on X" is something I can write about this decade. :)

                    Then there's a core that always applies to research. Read about a
                    subject, think about it's inner consistency, compare it to other works
                    in the field, and digest the useful bits.

                    After that, all the rest is simply lots of paperwork. *sigh*

                    > Leah A. Montgomery
                    > SCA: Safia bint Wahib al Marakeshi called Samira

                    ----asim
                  • Despair Bear
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 31 7:38 AM
                      --- "Leah A. Montgomery" <mog_bane@...> wrote:
                      > How do you go about doing research? Like at
                      > libraries, the Internet, with
                      > museums, with people from the culture that you
                      > study, etc.

                      Mostly the Internet and the local college library.
                      Inter-library loan can get you almost any book you can
                      think of. On occasion I get out to the Getty (sp?)
                      they have a great section of illuminated manuscripts.

                      Godric Of Castlemont

                      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                    • Kristine Maitland
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 31 12:36 PM
                        "Or discover the nature of relations between Queen
                        Elizabeth and the Ottoman Empire?"

                        Ahh, I see you have been reading up the correspondence,eh Asim?
                        Talk about clothes horse.

                        "How to start research on X" is something I can write about this decade. :)"

                        I HEAR you there. How about guerrillia research -- I could tell you some stories...lol

                        "Then there's a core that always applies to research. Read about a
                        subject, think about it's inner consistency, compare it to other works in the field, and digest the useful bits."

                        Amen.

                        in service

                        Agnese "Inez" Rusconi
                        Historian for the Barony of Ben Dunfirth
                        Ealdormere

                        mundanely:
                        Kristine Maitland
                        Researcher of alternative histories
                        www.kmaitland.ca

                      • alysedeville
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 1, 2003
                          Greetings : )

                          I was hoping that someone here would have some helpful suggestions
                          on where to find representations (actual art or copies) of female
                          clothing from Norman Sicily (1090-1190) I am researching for Golden
                          Swan and hope someone can help me.
                          Thanks in advance
                          Alyse
                        • Kirrily Robert
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 3, 2003
                            Alyse wrote:
                            > I was hoping that someone here would have some helpful suggestions
                            > on where to find representations (actual art or copies) of female
                            > clothing from Norman Sicily (1090-1190) I am researching for Golden
                            > Swan and hope someone can help me.

                            Oooh! Another proto-swan! I'm working on mine for next year too, wanna
                            keep in touch?

                            As for your actual question... was Sicily under Norman rule? Sounds odd
                            to me but it's totally not my period so I'm more than happy to be
                            educated. I'm afraid I have no idea of the answer to your question,
                            though :(

                            Yours,

                            Katherine

                            katherine@... http://elizabethangeek.com/
                          • Hasoferet@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 3, 2003
                              In a message dated 11/3/03 8:04:43 AM, skud@... writes:

                              <<
                              As for your actual question... was Sicily under Norman rule? Sounds odd
                              to me but it's totally not my period so I'm more than happy to be
                              educated. I'm afraid I have no idea of the answer to your question,
                              though :( >>

                              Sicily was under EVERYONE's rule at some point, it makes it juicy pickings
                              for those of us who like our cultures slightly smooshed together. I don't know
                              about sources for clothes, sadly, but I'll keep an eye out and post anything I
                              find. Good luck!

                              Raquel

                              +____________________________________+
                              Do not beg. Do not refuse. Preserve. Bestow.

                              --Colman mac Beognae, 'The Alphabet of Devotion
                            • Jennifer Geard
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 3, 2003
                                Hi Alyse,

                                > I was hoping that someone here would have some helpful suggestions
                                > on where to find representations (actual art or copies) of female
                                > clothing from Norman Sicily (1090-1190) I am researching for Golden
                                > Swan and hope someone can help me.

                                Which culture? Sicily was a key central trading point in the middle of
                                the Mediterranean, where Europe, Africa and the Middle East did
                                business. My interest was in Sicily under Roger II, where you had both
                                the local kinds of Christians (Byzantine and Roman), Muslims and Jews,
                                and probably a range of ethnicities in each religious group.

                                Problem is, there's very little information about women in medieval
                                Sicily, beyond the Jewish silkworkers who were kidnapped to found the
                                Sicilian silk industry (and possibly the royal harem, depending on who
                                you read). There's quite remarkably little about non-royal Norman
                                women. I began to wonder whether the Normans had sent men of fighting
                                age only, and done their standard thing of settling down with local
                                women.

                                I really felt my lack of languages while trying to research Sicily:
                                sources are in Latin (like Roger's "Gesta"), Greek and Arabic. I
                                eventually got dissatisfied with making guesses based on English and
                                French information about what was happening in France and England, and
                                relocated somewhere where I could get and read the sources.

                                Sicly is/was fascinating. If you manage to do this I'll be very
                                interested in your research. However, just as an observation, if I were
                                planning to do Golden Swan in a year I'd choose a different persona
                                from a time and place where it wasn't so hard finding the bare basics,
                                so I could concentrate on getting the detail right.

                                Yours,
                                Alys de Wilton
                              • Zachary Kessin
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 4, 2003
                                  If you are interested in Jewish realated stuff, I found this book in a
                                  library search. "The Jews in Sicily, edited by Shlomo Simoshon"
                                  it is part of a series put out by Tel Aviv University about the Jews in
                                  Italy. I have not looked at that one, but have extracted a lot of names
                                  out of some of the others.

                                  You may be able to get a copy of it via Inter library loan. I may be able
                                  to take a look at it next week, I need to go up to Hebrew U to do
                                  some stuff sooner or later.

                                  --Yehoshua