Golden Swan -- a gem of a challenge

  • demontsegur
    Message 1 of 87 , Jul 28, 2003
      Greetings list family,

      A friend recently reminded me of a challenge issued by a small shire
      in the far reaches of the Known World (British Columbia/An Tir) at
      an event called the Tournament of the Golden Swan. The challenge is
      for women to present complete, sustainable personas to the public
      and to educated judges for a period of 36 hours. It's held in
      October and is open to all _qualifying_ female comers (alas, it's
      limited to women, but the group says it has its reasons for that and
      I respect that). By 'qualifying' I mean those who apply for entry
      and are accepted. The standards are quite high, so people really
      have to be well-read and thoroughly versed in research techniques.

      The preparation is intense, I hear, and the period of time over
      which you remain in persona can be grueling. So much so that the
      coordinators request that you have a 'support person' on hand to
      translate between the logistics of the modern-time event and the
      persona that you maintain non-stop. There are 12 categories you must
      pass. It's pretty much a pass/fail scenario, though there's a
      numbering system used by the judges. When it's all over, they burn
      the score cards and will only tell you if you passed or not, and
      what your general strengths and weaknesses were. Once you are made a
      Golden Swan, or a 'successful Swan', all Swans are considered equal.

      This might be old news to some seasoned SCAdians on this list, but I
      only recently delved into the idea on this website below and thought
      it might be fun to share with folks here who haven't heard about it
      yet:

      http://www.geocities.com/olwenpenaur/Golden_Swan.html

      Thoughts? I think it would be wonderfully fun to try, say, in 2005.
      I think it would take me that long to read enough and
      practice/create enough to feel fully qualified to enter. :^) How
      about you? I also think it would be wonderful if another group in a
      different geographical location would consider taking up the
      challenge with the help of the Golden Swans' advice (freely offered,
      it appears) and present a co-ed or male-only version so everyone can
      share in the challenge.

      Marcele
    • Marc Carlson
      Message 87 of 87 , Aug 3, 2003
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Heather Rose Jones
        <hrjones@s...> wrote:
        > Well, it's not like I'm expecting anybody to "solve" the problem for
        > me -- just airing different issues and approaches.

        You know how it is, some people see someone not having as much "fun"
        with doing whatever their thing is that the first person is having
        with -their- thing, and want to help.

        Unfortunately, persona stuff is like authenticity - no matter how much
        someone thinks other folks might like it - it's not something you can
        force another to do, especially if they are expected to -enjoy- doing it.

        > ...currently developed would be a cross-gender role, leaving the
        > "would a woman do this?" question out of the equation.) But I'd
        > have an easier time approaching a Ren Faire gig as "theater".

        I'm not sure I understand this, but ok...

        M/D