Re: [Authentic_SCA] Drakes and explosions (long)

  • hasoferet@aol.com
    Message 1 of 364 , Jul 18 10:23 PM
      In a message dated 7/18/2003 10:23:23 AM Pacific Standard Time, gedney1@... writes:

      The place where culture mixing occurs is in expatriot communities, such as
      Chinatown, or the Hasidic Communities of Brooklyn, ot in period examples,
      the Viking community of Dublin, and the community of flemish worsted weavers
      of 1570's Norwich, as examples. In those communities there would be strong
      cultural reinforcement of the differences from the main culture, and some of
      the less extreme differences would get preserved (though some would be
      quickly lost, especially if they are illegal in the host culture).

      Similar situations also occur where communities kept from blending for various reasons nevertheless have to live alongside one another--Spain produces a lot of these, broken down along religous lines, and there are patterns that develop in areas where people are moving around a lot--well-travelled trade routes open some patterns. And certain cities--late-period Istanbul, fr'example.

      It is much harder to posit a hypothetical mixed culture community, than and
      individual, since communities would plainly have had more of an impact on a
      historical period and place than an individual. But ths is the most likely
      histoical fashion in which a person with mixed cultures would present.

      Why 'posit' at all? We have lots that actually happened to pick from.

      An individual that travels widely, and is born of parents that travelled
      widely, as a source for a cultural blending is simply unlikely, and not
      believable. the few examples that we have are, in effect exceptions that
      prove the rule, since such persons quickly rose to the level of scandal or
      legend .

      Or are just odd blips...my Tunisian guy is a very small scandal, contained in a series of angry family letters that would have vanished from history if the Cairo Geniza had not been preserved.

      and this is entirely my point. These cultural collisions were not the result
      of individual persons. Individuals had almost no impact on the culture to
      which they were transplanted. Impaction required a transplantation of enough
      individuals to generate a separate subculture within the host culture.

      Not arguing with you there, but cultures are made up of individuals, and and I can only 'be' one person at a time in the SCA.

      I think we're agreeing, actually.

      > (I'm guilty too.) But more often, someone wouldn't break
      > down their
      > family to component cultures, because everyone in Sicily has a
      > family like this.

      also true..
      A Luvbovitcher Jew in Brooklyn would not describe themselves as a
      Talmudic-Polish-Germannic-Hebrew-American-Zionist-Gemcutter. But we see this
      sort of thing in the SCA all the time, with such Scabominations as a
      Polish-Tartar-Celto-Pagan-Gypsy-working-as-a-Barbary-Pirate-wench.

      Well yes, but the first makes sense, and can be summed up in a single identity, while the latter requires explanation, 'cause it just don't happen.

      Which is all tyhat I was going after.
      Mixed cultures expressed as individuals a historical mixed cultural context,
      yes.
      Mixed cultures as an individual using a mishmash of places (and times!) with
      no connection to any likely (or even possible) historical context, no.

      Uh yeah. What you said.

      Raquel filla Bonastruch, not really a scandal, except to her brother Ysaac, who wishes she would get married again and stop hanging around the house inciting his daughters to sass him, and taking Vives' side when he's been gambling (and losing) again.
    • hasoferet@aol.com
      Message 364 of 364 , Jul 18 10:23 PM