Re: [Authentic_SCA] Masters and laurels and knights, oh my!

  • Cathal@mindspring.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 17, 2003
      On 17 Jul 2003 at 19:59, Lady_Lark_Azure wrote:

      > To clarify about masters, the accolade was specifically created for
      > those who for whatever reason cannot swear an oath. I seem to recall
      > being told that the first recipient of a master's baldric was a Quaker
      > and for religious reasons, could not swear an oath. It seems to have
      > become (at least in the East) a matter of the candidate's choice.

      The original point of differentiation was for those who could not swear to an
      earthly lord; however the official reading was "for those who for personal reasons
      can not swear fealty to the Crown". Richard of Mont Royal, the Short aka Aeginius
      was so created on 6 January, A.S. II (1968) as was Edwin Bersark.

      Interestingly enough in the original SCA tournament (May 1, 1966) Richard used the
      name of Sir Aeginius in the lists. It was not until 1968 when King William of the West
      regularized the Chivalry and made the matter of fealty mandatory that the
      accommodation became necessary.

      (As a matter of historical perspective, Richard was the winner of the tournament held
      at the first event (May 1, 1966); albeit his victory was declared after the fact when
      a review of film footage showed a killing blow the judges had missed.)

      Cathal.

      Na sir 's na seachain an cath.