"The best marzipan" Bogdan makes

  • Jeff Heilveil
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17, 2003
      IMHO is when you take white sugar and hand grind it along with almonds in
      a mortar. I'm never happy with the grind that comes from the cuisinart
      for the sugar.
      As far as I am concerned, this produces a marzipan that is FAR superior
      (in taste, texture and workability) to that done with powdered sugar.
      Then again, I can taste the 3% cornstarch and I know how it affects the
      hygroscopic tendencies of the medium.

      Of course, my wrists won't let me do it again for A&S, and superfine may
      work for marzipan, but not for sugarpaste.

      Back to the grindstone.
      Bogdan

      ps. While it would be neat to be recognized as a master of my art some
      day, I will be more honored on the day that I can pick a brand new recipe,
      interpret it for the first time, and not lack for volunteers to taste it,
      even if they "don't like" period food. THEN I will have truly mastered my
      art... That of the Stolnic. When it no longer matters what I make, but
      people are willing to try it.... <sigh>

      "Benthos" is important. Not only are benthic organisms important to
      healthy aquatic ecosystems, but the word itself is used so rarely that it
      gives us the chance to educate others about the importance of benthic
      organisms.
      Jeffrey Heilveil M.S.
      PhD Candidate, Department of Entomology
      University of Illinois