New Source for books

  • Colleen McDonald
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17, 2003
      Greetings all,

      I'm really excited - I just discovered a new online book store specializing in Italian source material that is sure to appeal to some in this group!

      http://www.italicapress.com/

      Couple of sample titles - just to get folks interested...<evil grin>

      The Marvels of Rome
      Mirabilia Urbis Romæ

      "WRITTEN for the pilgrim and sightseer c.1143 by Benedict, a canon of St. Peter's, this is the best medieval guide to the city and an important source for the location of its medieval churches and ancient monuments. It narrates the early Christian legends that are connected with many of these sites; and documents the medieval sense of Rome's ancient grandeur. In the twelfth century the inhabited part of Rome, the abitato, as it was called, was a small city tucked into the bend of the Tiber River in the midst of the ruins of the great ancient city. The walls and gates of the ancient city were still in place, and between them and the abitato were fields where the animals grazed among the temples and baths."
      (And it's only $12.50!)

      And the upcoming......
      Medieval Naples
      A Documentary History, 400-1400

      A Documentary History of Naples Series

      Edited by
      Caroline Bruzelius, Eileen Gardiner,
      Ronald G. Musto & William Tronzo

      "THIS VOLUME TREATS the history of the city from late Antiquity to the beginnings of the Renaissance. Sources will be drawn from the historical, literary, artistic, religious and cultural life of the city from the fall of the Roman Empire through the Byzantine, Lombard, Norman, Hohenstaufen and Angevin periods.

      TEXTS WILL INCLUDE a wide variety of readings and visual materials: chronicles and histories; poetry, romances and letters; liturgical and hagiographical texts; treatises on law, science, medicine, religion and philosophy; as well as examples of manuscript production, painting, architecture, and sculpture."
      (All for $25).

      Go forth and shop!

      In service, I remain

      Cainder