Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: period cooking of feasts

  • karenh@cyllene.uwa.edu.au
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 16, 2003
      > Let me loose the Hampton Court kitchens and I'll be a kid in a candy
      > store. I'm looking forward to cooking over an open fire at Pennsic.
      > Apparantly there actually is a book out about a feast done in the
      > Hampton Court kitchens since they were restored which I would love to
      > get a hold of.

      If that'sthe book I'm thinking of, it had a fantastic story about the equipment
      being organised by academic historians (ie no practical/experimental
      experience). When the cooks for the feast arrived, they discovered that the
      spits were too thin to take the weight of the beasties they were cooking, and
      ended up using three spits taped together for each animal so they wouldn't
      break.

      If anyone gets a chance, try and get to the Weald and Downland Open Air Museum
      in the south of England - they have a reconstructed Tudor kitchen, and a staff
      member whose full time job is working (in garb) in the kitchen. Talk about
      dream job...

      Alessandra