very OT: Re: [Authentic_SCA] Smoking, was appropriate to authenticity

  • Reia M. Chmielowski
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 16, 2003
      At 12:08 AM 7/17/03, Arwen (Outlands) wrote:

      >Yes, there are considerate smokers out there, and I bless and thank each
      >and every one of you. I honestly don't care whether or not *you* smoke,
      >as long as I don't have to "share" it with you. If they could come up
      >with a "smokeless" cigarette so that smokers could enjoy them anywhere,
      >anytime, without my having to have some too, I promise I'd shut up about
      >it already. Failing that, I will settle for those who are courteous
      >enough to ask if the smoke bothers me, and to respect smoking
      >restrictions when they are imposed.

      Any inventors on this list? Some sort of easily portable filtration
      system, where the cigarette, pipe, or whatever was actually encased in a
      tube, so that all of its smoke went straight to a filter, and not into the
      air, and there was an additional tube into which the smoker could exhale
      their smoke would be a great thing. Something small and light, to fit into
      a waist belt or backpack (not unlike the Camelbak hydrations systems which
      have become popular) would make it possible for smokers to enjoy their
      habit _anywhere_, even inside of a building, without sharing their smoke
      with anyone else. Granted, it would be so totally unperiod as to be
      inappropriate as a solution to the problems discussed on this list, but if
      any of you have what it takes to invent such a thing and market it in the
      modern world, I'd be appreciative! (Just think--one could take such a
      design to the tobacco producers and get them to help by selling them
      advertising space on the units--one could market it to them as a way they
      can continue to sell their product in the face of increasing legislation
      against second-hand-smoke).

      --Kareina
      PS, feel free to forward this idea to anyone you know elsewhere who might
      actually be able to do something with this idea. I don't care if someone
      else gets rich with it, so long as I never have to smell smoke again...