Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Cotehardie Hair for the Westernly Challenged

  • Bhairavi
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1 12:23 PM
      On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 01:25:12PM -0000, Ld. Eoin an Eich Ghil mac Cionaodha (Jen Kennedy) wrote:

      > Besides the wimple-and-veil, you might try a crespine or hairnet (in
      > desperation, use one of those crocheted snood, but in matte thread),
      > with a fillet (simple band around the forehead) or a barbette
      > ("toothache band" around the face) or a bandeau (a little semi-rigid
      > band that sits on top of the head, like a sailor hat). The crespine
      > (hairnet) looks really smashing when crammed full of hair; if you
      > coild your dreads up neatly, it should hide their heathen savagery.
      > If you've got shortish dreads that just won't coil up demurely in a
      > net, you can always line the net with hair-colored fabric first. If
      > you can coil one wad of dreads up behind each ear in the net, giving
      > your head a triangular appearance, even better. Then you can drape a
      > wimple snugly aross your chin, over your ears and around your hair,
      > pinning to the net in back. this is a really neat style that I have
      > seen in some illuminations, but almost never on live humans in the
      > SCA.

      Could someone point me to a picture of this? I'm having a hard time visualizing what it would look like. I definitely want to have some sort of wimple, as it occurs to me (yes, I forget sometimes) that I also have huge stretched earlobes (also great for Indian, not so much for Europe) and would like to cover those as well.

      --
      Bhairavi

      http://www.kyngesbridge.org/bhairavi/
    • Ld. Eoin an Eich Ghil mac Cionaodha (Jen
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2 6:17 AM
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Bhairavi <baital@p...> wrote:
        > Could someone point me to a picture of this? I'm having a hard time
        visualizing what it would look like. I definitely want to have some
        sort of wimple, as it occurs to me (yes, I forget sometimes) that I
        also have huge stretched earlobes (also great for Indian, not so much
        for Europe) and would like to cover those as well.

        Here are some pics, mostly a little earlier than the cotehardie
        period (but still appropriate, IMHO), several of the barbette,
        crespinette, and bandeau combination.

        http://www.kwantlen.bc.ca/~donna/sca/hairnets/medieval.html

        Cheers,
        EOin