Book question

  • Gerita
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2003
      Greetings!
      Sorry for the cross-post, but DH is trying to order these books, and i'd like to gather some opinions before the mailman gets here, please:

      The Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Costume and Fashion, Revised Edition: From 1066 to the Present.  By Jack Cassin-Scott.

      and

      Dress and Decoration of teh middle Ages by Henry Shaw.

      Anyone have any experience of these two?
      Thanks
      Gerita
    • Arianne de Chateaumichel
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2003
        Gerita wrote:

        >The Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Costume and Fashion, Revised Edition: From 1066
        to the Present. By Jack Cassin-Scott.
        Dress and Decoration of the middle Ages by Henry Shaw.

        >Anyone have any experience of these two?

        I haven't seen the other book, but the Cassin-Scott book is a coffee-table book, no
        more. My husband bought it for me, and while I certainly appreciate the thought, I
        wouldn't dream of using the book! It starts in 1066, giving over a grand total of 21 pages
        (mostly 16th century) to our period, with the other 9/10ths of the book devoted to much
        later fashions. Worse yet, the artwork seems to be a colourized version of Braun &
        Schneider and the like, with many details missing or simply wrong. Glancing through, I
        find his 14th century dandy wearing knee-garters, incorrectly identified in the blurb as
        chains for holding up his shoe tips. Garters or shoe-chains, however, they must be
        merely tacked on to his hose, as they consist only of the bow and dangly bit! He's
        listed as wearing a "houppelande or PELICAN" (my emphasis). His lady is wearing a
        hat I've only seen in the 15th century, a big gaudy necklace, and her undergown is
        called a "cotehardie". Without getting into whether this term was ever actually applied
        to women's clothes, I think everyone agrees it was a top layer, a type of surcote
        (sur-cote, a garment meant to be worn over the cote, or first fashion layer).

        I hope your husband hasn't ordered this book yet!

        Your Servant,
        Lady Arianne de Chateaumichel

        Shire of Starhaven,
        Kingdom of Trimaris