Re: Cotehardie Hair for the Westernly Challenged

  • Ld. Eoin an Eich Ghil mac Cionaodha (Jen
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1 6:25 AM
      > In a message dated 6/29/03 7:59:59 PM, baital@p... writes:
      >
      > << Does anyone have suggestions for appropriate headwear? I need to
      be able
      > to covermy hair entirely (I'm fairly certain it's only right and
      proper) as I
      > have dreadlocks, which work great for Indian but would look quite
      out of place
      > with this style. I assume. >>

      Besides the wimple-and-veil, you might try a crespine or hairnet (in
      desperation, use one of those crocheted snood, but in matte thread),
      with a fillet (simple band around the forehead) or a barbette
      ("toothache band" around the face) or a bandeau (a little semi-rigid
      band that sits on top of the head, like a sailor hat). The crespine
      (hairnet) looks really smashing when crammed full of hair; if you
      coild your dreads up neatly, it should hide their heathen savagery.
      If you've got shortish dreads that just won't coil up demurely in a
      net, you can always line the net with hair-colored fabric first. If
      you can coil one wad of dreads up behind each ear in the net, giving
      your head a triangular appearance, even better. Then you can drape a
      wimple snugly aross your chin, over your ears and around your hair,
      pinning to the net in back. this is a really neat style that I have
      seen in some illuminations, but almost never on live humans in the
      SCA.

      good luck,

      Eoin/Jen who now helps dress others' hair, no longer having much of
      his own
    • Bhairavi
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1 12:23 PM
        On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 01:25:12PM -0000, Ld. Eoin an Eich Ghil mac Cionaodha (Jen Kennedy) wrote:

        > Besides the wimple-and-veil, you might try a crespine or hairnet (in
        > desperation, use one of those crocheted snood, but in matte thread),
        > with a fillet (simple band around the forehead) or a barbette
        > ("toothache band" around the face) or a bandeau (a little semi-rigid
        > band that sits on top of the head, like a sailor hat). The crespine
        > (hairnet) looks really smashing when crammed full of hair; if you
        > coild your dreads up neatly, it should hide their heathen savagery.
        > If you've got shortish dreads that just won't coil up demurely in a
        > net, you can always line the net with hair-colored fabric first. If
        > you can coil one wad of dreads up behind each ear in the net, giving
        > your head a triangular appearance, even better. Then you can drape a
        > wimple snugly aross your chin, over your ears and around your hair,
        > pinning to the net in back. this is a really neat style that I have
        > seen in some illuminations, but almost never on live humans in the
        > SCA.

        Could someone point me to a picture of this? I'm having a hard time visualizing what it would look like. I definitely want to have some sort of wimple, as it occurs to me (yes, I forget sometimes) that I also have huge stretched earlobes (also great for Indian, not so much for Europe) and would like to cover those as well.

        --
        Bhairavi

        http://www.kyngesbridge.org/bhairavi/
      • Ld. Eoin an Eich Ghil mac Cionaodha (Jen
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2 6:17 AM
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Bhairavi <baital@p...> wrote:
          > Could someone point me to a picture of this? I'm having a hard time
          visualizing what it would look like. I definitely want to have some
          sort of wimple, as it occurs to me (yes, I forget sometimes) that I
          also have huge stretched earlobes (also great for Indian, not so much
          for Europe) and would like to cover those as well.

          Here are some pics, mostly a little earlier than the cotehardie
          period (but still appropriate, IMHO), several of the barbette,
          crespinette, and bandeau combination.

          http://www.kwantlen.bc.ca/~donna/sca/hairnets/medieval.html

          Cheers,
          EOin