SCA Books Project

  • Greg Lindahl
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2003
      Hi. I built some webpages recently about books of interest to the
      SCA. It has 3 sections:

      1) Online annotated bibliographies of paper books
      2) Online books
      3) Putting out-of-copyright books online.

      You can find these pages at: http://AandS.org/books.html

      The main reason I'm sending this email is to ask everyone for
      help. These projects are mostly community projects, and you can
      help make them better.

      As an example, most of the bibliographies are not just the work of one
      person, but were built by a bunch of people contributing information.
      So if you're interested in music or dance or brewing or whathaveyou,
      there are probably books on your bookshelf that need adding to the
      bibliographies.

      Another way you can contribute is by proofreading books. Project
      Gutenberg is a general project to put out-of-copyright books onto the
      Web. They have some clever software to aid proofreading of images of
      pages after they're run through OCR software. There's generally at
      least one pre-1600 book being proofread; for example, there's a huge
      series of volumes entitled _The Principal Navigations...of the English
      Nation_, which was published about 1589. At the moment they have about
      10 people doing photocopying/scanning/ocr of books, and about 200
      volunteers a day reading about 10 pages each. So this is something you
      could work on for just a few minutes a week.

      So, come by and take a look!

      http://AandS.org/books.html

      -- Gregory Blount
    • hasoferet@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2003
        In a message dated 6/30/2003 7:21:45 PM Eastern Standard Time, lindahl@... writes:

        > The main reason I'm sending this email is to ask everyone for
        > help. These projects are mostly community projects, and you
        > can
        > help make them better.

        Would you be interested in starting a section on Jewish cultures? I could probably round up some folks to help out. And I'd be happy to proof for ya.

        Raquel

        Raquel