Beans

  • Stephen Higa
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 11, 2000
      Does anybody happen to know if lentils are period? I read someplace (I
      don't know how accurate it is) that non-soybean beans are from the New
      World. I don't know what they meant by "beans" (they probably weren't
      thinking of any botanical usage) but would lentils count? Or is the whole
      thing wrong; were other "beans" around in the old world, like garbanzo or
      azuki?

      Moshe
      The earth of humankind
      contains all moistness,
      all verdancy,
      all germinating power.

      --Hildegard von Bingen
    • Beth
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 12, 2000
        This link is a "discussion" about the very subject you mention

        There are references and recipes threaded throughout, as well as people's opinions and addresses. Scanning through it I found Lentils, Garbanzos and Favas in the first few paragraphs.

        Ragnel

        Does anybody happen to know if lentils are period?  I read someplace (I
        don't know how accurate it is) that non-soybean beans are from the New
        World.  I don't know what they meant by "beans" (they probably weren't
        thinking of any botanical usage) but would lentils count?  Or is the whole
        thing wrong;  were other "beans" around in the old world, like garbanzo or
        azuki?

        Moshe
        The earth of humankind
        contains all moistness,
            all verdancy,
            all germinating power.

                             --Hildegard von Bingen

        This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

      • Stephen Higa
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 13, 2000
          Re: [Authentic_SCA] Beans Ah, thank you!  Duke Cariadoc mentioned lentils...that's good.  Nothing beats a good lentil soup to make you feel medievally Mediterranean.  :)

          Moshe
          The earth of humankind
          contains all moistness,
              all verdancy,
              all germinating power.

                               --Hildegard von Bingen

          From: "Beth" <ragnel@...>
          To: <Authentic_SCA@egroups.com>
          Subject: Re: [Authentic_SCA] Beans
          Date: Tue, Dec 12, 2000, 7:41 PM

          This link is a "discussion" about the very subject you mention

          http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/beans-msg.html

[...]

          eGroups Sponsor
          This is the Authentic SCA eGroup