Cooler-Free Camping?

  • aicelina_della_solari
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
      Greetings!
      Concerning food, I would like to know how I can camp as
      authentically as possible. Coolers and keeping up with ice are such
      a pain not to mention is doesn't do much for medieval ambiance. I
      have a three day SCA weekend this summer that I'd like to plan for
      now, and I don't want to haul a cooler, if possible. Does anyone
      else try to camp cooler-free? What works? What doesn't?

      Many thanks,
      Aicelina della Solari
    • ketamina06
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "aicelina_della_solari"
        <psalm126@y...> wrote:
        > Greetings!
        > Concerning food, I would like to know how I can camp as
        > authentically as possible. Coolers and keeping up with ice are
        such
        > a pain not to mention is doesn't do much for medieval ambiance. I
        > have a three day SCA weekend this summer that I'd like to plan for
        > now, and I don't want to haul a cooler, if possible. Does anyone
        > else try to camp cooler-free? What works? What doesn't?
        >
        > Many thanks,
        > Aicelina della Solari

        Well, I suppose you could go coolerless if you went with enough
        money or bartering items to buy your meals all weekend. I've known
        many to do work or perform or barter for every meal and never have
        to worry about packing a single crumb. Some did it well, some were
        annoying. Cash might be the best way. :)

        Depending on where your event is, perhaps you could dig a mini root
        cellar...(that was meant as a joke).

        I know hauling coolers is a pain, but over the years I got it down
        to one big cooler, everything else was non-perishable, instant, etc.
        I also had a cover that hid it well. If you intend on supplying all
        of your own food and want to eat better than the astronauts, I'd
        reccommend at least one cooler. Eating beef jerky and apples for
        three days gets old!

        I honestly don't know many period ways to keep your food
        cool...since most of them were permanent (root cellars etc.). With
        all the crud that can live in your food and make you ill, it's a bit
        risky to experiment much.

        ~K
      • Signora Apollonia Margherita degli Albiz
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
          Check out Despina and Bogdan's folder in the files section...  They go coolerless to Pennsic, IIRC...

          Apollonia

          Signora Apollonia Margherita degli Albizzi
          Kingdom of Atlantia
          www.livejournal.com/users/apollonia

          **La vita senz'onore e un viver morto.**

        • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 2, 2003
            At 08:45 PM 6/1/2003 +0000, you wrote:
            Greetings!
                 Concerning food, I would like to know how I can camp as
            authentically as possible.  Coolers and keeping up with ice are such
            a pain not to mention is doesn't do much for medieval ambiance.  I
            have a three day SCA weekend this summer that I'd like to plan for
            now, and I don't want to haul a cooler, if possible.  Does anyone
            else try to camp cooler-free?  What works?  What doesn't?

            http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/Eatng-Pennsic-art.html  is the direct URL to Bogdan's article on eating at Pennsic without a cooler.

            http://home.earthlink.net/~mkcooks/Introduction.htm  is another direct link to it on another forum.

            Personally, I vote that you wax some eggs to bring along, make some fine cakes and meat pies, as well as taking fruit and some vegetables (like turnips and onions), rice for rice pottage, pickled meat (lord salt), cheeses, jerkey, and make stuff from all of that.  Three days shouldn't be a problem.

            Smiles,
            Despina
          • ladymorwenna
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 2, 2003
              > Greetings!
              > Concerning food, I would like to know how I can camp as
              > authentically as possible. Coolers and keeping up with ice are such
              > a pain not to mention is doesn't do much for medieval ambiance. I
              > have a three day SCA weekend this summer that I'd like to plan for
              > now, and I don't want to haul a cooler, if possible. Does anyone
              > else try to camp cooler-free? What works? What doesn't?
              >
              > Many thanks,
              > Aicelina della Solari

              Since this topic comes up regularly about this time of year, someone
              has cleverly compiled a bunch of articles in the Files section.

              %20cooler/

              Enjoy.

              --Morwenna
              currently compiling recipes that are both historic and
              Atkins-friendly.