"Authenticity Police" history, and thanks

  • borderlands15213
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2003
      To the good gentles on this list, and possibly others elsewhere, who
      forwarded my request for information to Yoself Alaric, whose story
      that is, my thanks.
      He was kind enough to take the time to drop me a line and explain the
      origins of the "Authenticity Police" and how the relatively few
      badges came about.

      Yseult
    • Marsha McLean
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2003
        Do share?

        Madinia

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • borderlands15213
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 14, 2003
          Surely, I'll share.
          My apologies that it's taken so long to get back to this; for the
          last couple of weeks I was busy wearing three hats (Liaison, bardic
          competition organizer, and class instructor) for a local event we
          held last weekend. Spent a chunk of the past week recovering. Event
          was a great success, we hear, but I don't remember running this hard
          over the course of a full Pennsic War, lol.

          This is the condensed version:
          Yosef Alaric, at that time EK MOAS, and two other lords were serving
          as judges for an A&S competition at (as he recalls) PW11. The
          category was pavilions and beds. This meant tramping to various
          encampments whereat the entries would be found.
          Hot, dry day, bright sun... These three lords, all court barons, as
          it happened, were wearing Arab-style headdresses with their baronial
          coronets holding them in place, sunglasses, and carrying pens and
          clipboards. Because of the heat and the walking, they'd stopped in
          at the camp store for something to drink, and arrived at the first
          encampment carrying, in addition to their clipboards and pens, cans
          of Coke.
          They were greeted by the encampment members/campmaster/A&S entrant,
          and one of them--Yosef Alaric says he doesn't recall which of them
          and that he has asked the other two, and they don't recall, either--
          quipped in reply:
          "We're the Authenticity Police; we're here to inspect your bed."
          As far as he knows, this is the first time in the SCA the expression
          was in use.

          The "badges" came later, but not much later. It was Yosef Alaric's
          privilege to be called not long after this Pennsic (11) to serve as
          Society MOS, and to devise the A&S badge we have today: azure, a
          candle inflamed within an arch argent. He made buttons (the kind
          with sayings on them, pinnable to clothes or accessories) displaying
          the badge with "Authenticity Police" above the arch, and a badge
          number below; he made just three: one for each of the three
          original "authenticity police." #2 was for Karl Ulfson, of the
          Middle, and #3 was given to Baron Carlos, also of the Middle. He
          reserved #6 for himself; this was a reference to the television
          series, The Prisoner.
          A few more were made for friends who wanted particular "badge"
          numbers for their own particular reasons, and a few he made and
          merchanted at War. They were popular, but they weren't a fad or a
          craze.

          Some of the details that had come earlier to me, were incorrect.
          Yosef Alaric set the record straight, and I was glad to get this tale
          from him.

          Yseult

          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Marsha McLean"