an observation

  • danandjay
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31 9:33 PM
      I've been out of the store I work at for the last two weeks stocking and
      "store building" a new location. Today, back at my own location, I was
      standing over two boxes of embroidered silk rems that the clerks were
      absolutely forbidden to touch or bring out to the sales floor until the
      manager gets back to decide how they will be merchandised.

      Like little vermin my normally sane co-workers had pulled the ends of
      both boxes off in little pieces leaving little piles of cardboard debris
      on the floor. The silks are baled together with plastic strapping
      inside the box, so they could only shuffle through 4 inches or so of
      fabric, like a silk rolodex.

      A co-worker (who had been working at the new store as well) was with me
      as I looked at the gnawed boxes. Dorothy and I had both heard the
      agitated mumblings of the others when we stopped by the store to pick up
      supplies and paychecks.
      One of them may have mentioned the word "precious"

      None of these pieces are more than 3 yards and all appear to be dupioni.
      Nothing that excites Mabels' cockles, though one or two might make very
      pretty favor bags. Dorothy being more of a knitter than a stitcher was
      not that excited either. Another clerk wandered into the back room and
      began excitedly fussing about the future of the silk rems.

      Behold! The power of silk!

      Mabel
      had to share