History SCA Jargon

  • borderlands15213
    Message 1 of 13 , May 30, 2003
      Greetings, good gentles:

      Several years ago, an East Kingdom Duchess whose name I do not, to my
      disgrace, recall, gave me the history of the "Authenticity Police,"
      which was originally intended as a joke. It may or may not have
      originated as such, but a lord established, **AS A JOKE,** a rather
      elaborate one, an Authenticity Police Force, with ranks and badges
      and badge numbers. I'm presuming the expression came first, probably
      as a take-off on "fashion police," and the joke followed, but I allow
      this might not have been the order of their usage in SCA.
      Since the lord in question was a close personal friend of this
      Duchess's, I am trusting that the account I heard was correct.

      Here's my request:
      Can ANYONE on this list tell me the name of that gentle lord, the year
      (s)--as accurately as possible--of the joke itself, and or put me in
      touch with either him or the lady Duchess (I know, I know! How do
      you know who she is if I have no name to give you! It's a long, long
      shot.... But I had to try.)

      Many thanks-
      Yseult
    • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
      Message 2 of 13 , May 30, 2003
        At 06:26 PM 5/30/2003 +0000, you wrote:
        Greetings, good gentles:

        Several years ago, an East Kingdom Duchess whose name I do not, to my
        disgrace, recall,
        Here's my request:
        Can ANYONE on this list tell me the name of that gentle lord, the year
        (s)--as accurately as possible--of the joke itself, and or put me in
        touch with either him or the lady Duchess (I know, I know!  How do
        you know who she is if I have no name to give you!  It's a long, long
        shot....  But I had to try.)

        Might I suggest searching the East OP for the name of your duchess?

        http://jducoeur.org/Prec/Ekcoronations.html  is where they list their Kings and Queens, though there doesn't appear to be an online OP listing dukes and duchesses and the like....

        Smiles,
        Despina
      • ladymorwenna
        Message 3 of 13 , May 30, 2003
          > Might I suggest searching the East OP for the name of your duchess?
          >
          > http://jducoeur.org/Prec/Ekcoronations.html is where they list
          > their Kings and Queens, though there doesn't appear to be an online
          > OP listing dukes and duchesses and the like....
          >
          > Smiles,
          > Despina

          It's under the "Rolls of Orders by Award Name"
          http://jducoeur.org/Prec/Awards/Ducal.html

          --Morwenna
        • borderlands15213
          Message 4 of 13 , May 30, 2003
            Thank you both, ladies; unfortunately for me, nothing on either list
            is ringing any bells.
            The original story is what I'm really after, so hopefully someone on
            list will know it, recall it, and share it....

            Yseult

            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "ladymorwenna"
            <ladymorwenna@y...> wrote:
            > > Might I suggest searching the East OP for the name of your
            duchess?

            > > http://jducoeur.org/Prec/Ekcoronations.html is where they list
            > > their Kings and Queens, though there doesn't appear to be an
            online
            > > OP listing dukes and duchesses and the like....
            > >
            > > Smiles,
            > > Despina
            >
            > It's under the "Rolls of Orders by Award Name"
            > http://jducoeur.org/Prec/Awards/Ducal.html
            >
            > --Morwenna
          • Marsha McLean
            Message 5 of 13 , May 30, 2003
              Hmmm. Robin Netherton, who was Lyra D'Orleans (I think that's right)
              told me about 12 years ago that she'd been in on that in the beginning,
              as well. She had been inactive for quite some time at that point, so at
              least 16 years ago.

              If anyone is still in contact with Verna Rutz in Calontir, she may
              recall...

              Madinia

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • Marsha McLean
              Message 6 of 13 , May 30, 2003
                Ok, What I heard from Robin was this:

                A group of people got really sick of people telling others "that's not
                period" so they banded together and formed the authenticity police.
                Their object was to confront them (the 'it's not period'-ers) and
                discourage them.

                A good idea, which I have considered resurrecting. But when I go out
                wearing (documentable, of course) bait for these people, they never bite
                8^<. I've worn pink and fuchsia and a few other things, but I only ever
                got snarked once long ago, never when I was trolling.

                Maybe I should make something for Pennsic to push their buttons...

                Madinia

              • wodeford
                Message 7 of 13 , May 30, 2003
                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "borderlands15213"
                  <borderlands15213@y...> wrote:
                  > It may or may not have
                  > originated as such, but a lord established, **AS A JOKE,** a rather
                  > elaborate one, an Authenticity Police Force, with ranks and badges
                  > and badge numbers.

                  Must - not - give - in - to - overwhelming - urge - to -

                  "Badges, we don' need no steenking badges!"

                  Oops, too late,
                  Jehanne, who's going to teach songs tomorrow. In Latin, and Middle
                  English, and French. Oh My. ;->
                • Cathal@mindspring.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 30, 2003

                    > Maybe I should make something for Pennsic to push their buttons...
                    >
                    > Madinia

                    But would they be PERIOD buttons?  And is PUSHING them a documentable
                    technique? Would it be something in period you would have to travel such a distance to do? Would your reasoning be based upon period techniques or some modern application?  Surely you can't expect to will-he-nil-he go about remonstrating
                    them without such due diligence!

                    Cathal.

                    Na sir 's na seachain an cath.
                  • Marsha McLean
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 30, 2003

                      Sh!t disturbing... I believe Taming of the Shrew is all about pushing buttons.  And in any case, it’s all in good cause – it’s educational!

                      “But Lady Tudor Glitz, telling people things aren’t period isn’t period”

                      Madinia, off to din in a wicked mood }8^)>

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 30, 2003
                        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Cathal@m..." <cathal@m...>
                        wrote:
                        > But would they be PERIOD buttons? And is PUSHING them a
                        documentable
                        > technique? Would it be something in period you would have to travel
                        such a distance
                        > to do? Would your reasoning be based upon period techniques or some
                        modern
                        > application? Surely you can't expect to will-he-nil-he go about
                        remonstrating
                        > them without such due diligence!

                        Button pushing may not be period, however, pedal pushing is. Just ask
                        the fellows who brought the spring pole lathe to Cynagua Coronet last
                        weekend. (It was so COOL - and we had plenty of shavings to use as
                        kindling).

                        Saying, 'That's not period,' isn't period. Neither is asking for
                        documentation.

                        Nose-tweaking is extremely period. ;->

                        Jehanne Of The Undocumentable Monkeys
                      • Cathal@mindspring.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 30, 2003
                          > Saying, 'That's not period,' isn't period. Neither is asking for
                          > documentation.

                          I'll conditionally agree to the former assertion although condemning
                          something as heretical is fairly close to the same mark. As for the asking for
                          documentation, that is certainly period. Discourse and the exercise of
                          rhetoric require proofs for the validation of statements. To argue well may
                          be logic's chiefest end (to quote Marlowe's Dr. Faustus); however
                          argument depends upon proveable support and that is documentation
                          in its essential form.

                          > Nose-tweaking is extremely period. ;->

                          As is thumb biting...<VEG>

                          > Jehanne Of The Undocumentable Monkeys

                          Ah, at best a Bogomil or perhaps a Lollard.

                          Cathal.

                          (not an AN just looking for amusement)

                          Na sir 's na seachain an cath.
                        • Cathal@mindspring.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 30, 2003
                            On 30 May 2003 at 17:44, Marsha McLean wrote:

                            > Sh!t disturbing... I believe Taming of the Shrew is all about pushing
                            > buttons. And in any case, it™s all in good cause “ it™s educational!

                            Amen...

                            Cathal.

                            Na sir 's na seachain an cath.
                          • Alfgar the Sententious
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 2, 2003
                              wrote:

                              > > Nose-tweaking is extremely period. ;->
                              >
                              > As is thumb biting...<VEG>

                              But only if the right is of our side, Gregory.