Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Dealing with foul weather

  • Elizabeth Walpole
    Message 1 of 217 , May 28, 2003
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Anahita bint abd al-Karim al-Fassi <lilinah@...>
      To: Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com <Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 6:53 AM
      Subject: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Dealing with foul weather

      >"ketamina06" <ketamina06@y...> wrote:
      >> "Anahita bint abd al-Karim al- Fassi" <lilinah@e...> wrote:
      >> > I was there - the Wind/An Tir War. I was in a period pavilion and
      >> > didn't realize how windy it was when i was inside. Most of the
      >> > period pavilions weathered the weather just fine. We left later
      >> > than many folks because we weren't have the problems folks in
      >> > pop-tents were.
      >>
      >> **The pavilion I was staying in was 'approved' for 100mph winds.
      >> When one of the bits of pipe that served as poles bent and made a
      >> sad sound of pain, we decided not to test the 100mph approval.**
      >
      >Oooh. That hurts.
      >
      >We (there were three of us) were in a commercially made French bell
      >wedge. It was held up by two poles made of closet poles with a
      >galvanized collar to hold the two short pieces came together and it
      >had a short center beam. The foot print is around 12 X 16. The walls
      >are "nailed" down into the ground. There are no guy ropes, no inner
      >skeleton.
      >
      >I think that we had also set up fortuitously, with the narrow end to
      >the wind, so that the wind flowed around us, rather than slamming into
      >the long front or back wall, although it did shift from time to time.

      When I was in Guides (girls scouts for those who need it translated into
      american :-) ) we camped in bell tents, which is a cone shaped roof on top
      of very short (about 3 ft) vertical walls. it is held down by guys (AKA
      ropes) which run from the joint between the roof and the walls to the
      ground, and one (wooden in all the ones I've seen) pole in the middle. The
      argument for a round tend versus a ridge tent (the classic triangular type
      people generally think of when someone says tent) is that the wind goes
      around it (no matter what direction its coming from) rather than smacking in
      to one flat side and being either stopped completely or knocking down the
      tent in order to keep going.
      Whereas when someone says pavilion I think of the stereotypical image of a
      box with a pointy roof on top, which doesn't seem all that practical for
      high winds. It's probably more practical for putting people in, you can
      stand up all the way to the edge, rather than having to duck or crawl to
      reach anything near the walls in a bell tent.
      Just sharing my experiences of non SCA camping, as I've never actually
      camped in the SCA and if I did I'd probably need something I could set up
      myself.
      Elizabeth

      ----
      Elizabeth Beaumont
      MKA:
      Elizabeth Walpole
      Politarchopolis, Lochac
      ewalpole@...

      People are like stained glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun
      is out, but when the darkness sets in ,their true beauty is revealed only if
      there is light from within.
      Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

      The years that a woman subtracts from her age are not lost. They are added
      to the ages of other women.
      Diane de Poitiers (1499-1566) Attrib.
    • Elizabeth Walpole
      Message 217 of 217 , May 28, 2003