Re: OT digging up dead people(was: corsets)

  • ladymorwenna
    Message 1 of 15 , May 2, 2003
      > Hi! Are you talking about the Palermo Mummies? If so Id love to know
      > what book you found. Did it have good photos? I love costumes, I
      > love mummies and these particular mummies are extra fasinating. The
      > monestary started excepting regular people to be mummified in 1599
      > and they closed it in 1920. So with the 1599 . . Thats right darn at
      > the end of our period so there has to be SOMEONE in that tomb we
      > could look at.
      >
      > Muirgheal

      The current issue of Archaeology magazine has an article on the
      Palermo mummies. There's an abstract and further reading on-line.
      http://www.archaeology.org/magazine.php?page=0305/abstracts/palermo

      --Morwenna
    • hasoferet@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , May 2, 2003
        In a message dated 5/2/2003 3:03:04 AM Pacific Standard Time, sismith42@... writes:

        funny you should mention this... last night, I saw a book that
        basically took people from an Italian Crypt (monks & noblity, burried
        from the 15th century to the early 20th..), and wired them up
        as "living dead".  All senses of desecration and lack of respect for
        the earthly remains of somebody's ancestors aside, this book didn't
        seem to have many bodies displayed from the 15th or 16th centuries*
        :( Some interesting 19th century costumes were preseted, though.

        Stefania

        *as far as I could tell.  the guys wraped in cloth could have been
        from anytime, but I doubt people wore what basically ammounted to a
        sheet wraped around, holding the arms & legs together...

        Uhhh...I'm aware that there are European churches where the dead are displayed decoratively, but I was raised in a tradition where you put them in the ground and leave them there. Doing my best not to shudder and twitch.

        Raquel