Re: [Authentic_SCA] OT digging up dead people(was: corsets)

  • Manly Summerfield
    Message 1 of 15 , May 2, 2003
      > funny you should mention this... last night, I saw a book that
      > basically took people from an Italian Crypt (monks & noblity, burried
      > from the 15th century to the early 20th..), and wired them up
      > as "living dead". All senses of desecration and lack of respect for
      > the earthly remains of somebody's ancestors aside, this book didn't
      > seem to have many bodies displayed from the 15th or 16th centuries*
      > :( Some interesting 19th century costumes were preseted, though.
      >
      > Stefania

      Hi! Are you talking about the Palermo Mummies? If so Id love to know what
      book you found. Did it have good photos? I love costumes, I love mummies and
      these particular mummies are extra fasinating. The monestary started
      excepting regular people to be mummified in 1599 and they closed it in 1920.
      So with the 1599 . . Thats right darn at the end of our period so there has
      to be SOMEONE in that tomb we could look at.

      Muirgheal
    • sismith42
      Message 2 of 15 , May 2, 2003
        > Hi! Are you talking about the Palermo Mummies? If so Id love to
        know what
        > book you found. Did it have good photos? I love costumes, I love
        mummies and
        > these particular mummies are extra fasinating. The monestary started
        > excepting regular people to be mummified in 1599 and they closed it
        in 1920.
        > So with the 1599 . . Thats right darn at the end of our period so
        there has
        > to be SOMEONE in that tomb we could look at.
        >
        > Muirgheal

        Hi Muirgheal,
        I don;t remember where the mummies came from, but will get that
        info (plus pertinant bibliographical info) when I'm downtown this
        weekend...

        Stefania
      • ladymorwenna
        Message 3 of 15 , May 2, 2003
          > Hi! Are you talking about the Palermo Mummies? If so Id love to know
          > what book you found. Did it have good photos? I love costumes, I
          > love mummies and these particular mummies are extra fasinating. The
          > monestary started excepting regular people to be mummified in 1599
          > and they closed it in 1920. So with the 1599 . . Thats right darn at
          > the end of our period so there has to be SOMEONE in that tomb we
          > could look at.
          >
          > Muirgheal

          The current issue of Archaeology magazine has an article on the
          Palermo mummies. There's an abstract and further reading on-line.
          http://www.archaeology.org/magazine.php?page=0305/abstracts/palermo

          --Morwenna
        • hasoferet@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , May 2, 2003
            In a message dated 5/2/2003 3:03:04 AM Pacific Standard Time, sismith42@... writes:

            funny you should mention this... last night, I saw a book that
            basically took people from an Italian Crypt (monks & noblity, burried
            from the 15th century to the early 20th..), and wired them up
            as "living dead".  All senses of desecration and lack of respect for
            the earthly remains of somebody's ancestors aside, this book didn't
            seem to have many bodies displayed from the 15th or 16th centuries*
            :( Some interesting 19th century costumes were preseted, though.

            Stefania

            *as far as I could tell.  the guys wraped in cloth could have been
            from anytime, but I doubt people wore what basically ammounted to a
            sheet wraped around, holding the arms & legs together...

            Uhhh...I'm aware that there are European churches where the dead are displayed decoratively, but I was raised in a tradition where you put them in the ground and leave them there. Doing my best not to shudder and twitch.

            Raquel