OT digging up dead people(was: corsets)

  • sismith42
    Message 1 of 15 , May 2 3:00 AM
      > Why we need to start diggin up dead people. SOMEBODY must be
      wearing a corset
      > that survived nasty dead people ickiness. Get me a shovel, I'll do
      it.

      funny you should mention this... last night, I saw a book that
      basically took people from an Italian Crypt (monks & noblity, burried
      from the 15th century to the early 20th..), and wired them up
      as "living dead". All senses of desecration and lack of respect for
      the earthly remains of somebody's ancestors aside, this book didn't
      seem to have many bodies displayed from the 15th or 16th centuries*
      :( Some interesting 19th century costumes were preseted, though.

      Stefania

      *as far as I could tell. the guys wraped in cloth could have been
      from anytime, but I doubt people wore what basically ammounted to a
      sheet wraped around, holding the arms & legs together...
    • Manly Summerfield
      Message 2 of 15 , May 2 5:12 AM
        > funny you should mention this... last night, I saw a book that
        > basically took people from an Italian Crypt (monks & noblity, burried
        > from the 15th century to the early 20th..), and wired them up
        > as "living dead". All senses of desecration and lack of respect for
        > the earthly remains of somebody's ancestors aside, this book didn't
        > seem to have many bodies displayed from the 15th or 16th centuries*
        > :( Some interesting 19th century costumes were preseted, though.
        >
        > Stefania

        Hi! Are you talking about the Palermo Mummies? If so Id love to know what
        book you found. Did it have good photos? I love costumes, I love mummies and
        these particular mummies are extra fasinating. The monestary started
        excepting regular people to be mummified in 1599 and they closed it in 1920.
        So with the 1599 . . Thats right darn at the end of our period so there has
        to be SOMEONE in that tomb we could look at.

        Muirgheal
      • sismith42
        Message 3 of 15 , May 2 5:29 AM
          > Hi! Are you talking about the Palermo Mummies? If so Id love to
          know what
          > book you found. Did it have good photos? I love costumes, I love
          mummies and
          > these particular mummies are extra fasinating. The monestary started
          > excepting regular people to be mummified in 1599 and they closed it
          in 1920.
          > So with the 1599 . . Thats right darn at the end of our period so
          there has
          > to be SOMEONE in that tomb we could look at.
          >
          > Muirgheal

          Hi Muirgheal,
          I don;t remember where the mummies came from, but will get that
          info (plus pertinant bibliographical info) when I'm downtown this
          weekend...

          Stefania
        • ladymorwenna
          Message 4 of 15 , May 2 5:43 AM
            > Hi! Are you talking about the Palermo Mummies? If so Id love to know
            > what book you found. Did it have good photos? I love costumes, I
            > love mummies and these particular mummies are extra fasinating. The
            > monestary started excepting regular people to be mummified in 1599
            > and they closed it in 1920. So with the 1599 . . Thats right darn at
            > the end of our period so there has to be SOMEONE in that tomb we
            > could look at.
            >
            > Muirgheal

            The current issue of Archaeology magazine has an article on the
            Palermo mummies. There's an abstract and further reading on-line.
            http://www.archaeology.org/magazine.php?page=0305/abstracts/palermo

            --Morwenna
          • hasoferet@aol.com
            Message 5 of 15 , May 2 3:19 PM
              In a message dated 5/2/2003 3:03:04 AM Pacific Standard Time, sismith42@... writes:

              funny you should mention this... last night, I saw a book that
              basically took people from an Italian Crypt (monks & noblity, burried
              from the 15th century to the early 20th..), and wired them up
              as "living dead".  All senses of desecration and lack of respect for
              the earthly remains of somebody's ancestors aside, this book didn't
              seem to have many bodies displayed from the 15th or 16th centuries*
              :( Some interesting 19th century costumes were preseted, though.

              Stefania

              *as far as I could tell.  the guys wraped in cloth could have been
              from anytime, but I doubt people wore what basically ammounted to a
              sheet wraped around, holding the arms & legs together...

              Uhhh...I'm aware that there are European churches where the dead are displayed decoratively, but I was raised in a tradition where you put them in the ground and leave them there. Doing my best not to shudder and twitch.

              Raquel