Re: [Authentic_SCA] corsets (was Re: hoop skirt storage)

  • loreleimorte@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2003
      In a message dated 5/1/2003 4:22:23 PM Central Standard Time, lithiate@... writes:

      We have precisely two extant corsets from the whole of the 16th century (really, one
      that's accuritely dated to the latter 1590's and another that's estimated to be
      somewhere between 1590-1620, depending on who you trust).

      Why we need to start diggin up dead people. SOMEBODY must be wearing a corset that survived nasty dead people ickiness. Get me a shovel, I'll do it.

      Sarra Wryght
      http://www.livejournal.com/users/loreleisedai/
    • sismith42
      Message 2 of 15 , May 2, 2003
        > Why we need to start diggin up dead people. SOMEBODY must be
        wearing a corset
        > that survived nasty dead people ickiness. Get me a shovel, I'll do
        it.

        funny you should mention this... last night, I saw a book that
        basically took people from an Italian Crypt (monks & noblity, burried
        from the 15th century to the early 20th..), and wired them up
        as "living dead". All senses of desecration and lack of respect for
        the earthly remains of somebody's ancestors aside, this book didn't
        seem to have many bodies displayed from the 15th or 16th centuries*
        :( Some interesting 19th century costumes were preseted, though.

        Stefania

        *as far as I could tell. the guys wraped in cloth could have been
        from anytime, but I doubt people wore what basically ammounted to a
        sheet wraped around, holding the arms & legs together...
      • Manly Summerfield
        Message 3 of 15 , May 2, 2003
          > funny you should mention this... last night, I saw a book that
          > basically took people from an Italian Crypt (monks & noblity, burried
          > from the 15th century to the early 20th..), and wired them up
          > as "living dead". All senses of desecration and lack of respect for
          > the earthly remains of somebody's ancestors aside, this book didn't
          > seem to have many bodies displayed from the 15th or 16th centuries*
          > :( Some interesting 19th century costumes were preseted, though.
          >
          > Stefania

          Hi! Are you talking about the Palermo Mummies? If so Id love to know what
          book you found. Did it have good photos? I love costumes, I love mummies and
          these particular mummies are extra fasinating. The monestary started
          excepting regular people to be mummified in 1599 and they closed it in 1920.
          So with the 1599 . . Thats right darn at the end of our period so there has
          to be SOMEONE in that tomb we could look at.

          Muirgheal
        • sismith42
          Message 4 of 15 , May 2, 2003
            > Hi! Are you talking about the Palermo Mummies? If so Id love to
            know what
            > book you found. Did it have good photos? I love costumes, I love
            mummies and
            > these particular mummies are extra fasinating. The monestary started
            > excepting regular people to be mummified in 1599 and they closed it
            in 1920.
            > So with the 1599 . . Thats right darn at the end of our period so
            there has
            > to be SOMEONE in that tomb we could look at.
            >
            > Muirgheal

            Hi Muirgheal,
            I don;t remember where the mummies came from, but will get that
            info (plus pertinant bibliographical info) when I'm downtown this
            weekend...

            Stefania
          • ladymorwenna
            Message 5 of 15 , May 2, 2003
              > Hi! Are you talking about the Palermo Mummies? If so Id love to know
              > what book you found. Did it have good photos? I love costumes, I
              > love mummies and these particular mummies are extra fasinating. The
              > monestary started excepting regular people to be mummified in 1599
              > and they closed it in 1920. So with the 1599 . . Thats right darn at
              > the end of our period so there has to be SOMEONE in that tomb we
              > could look at.
              >
              > Muirgheal

              The current issue of Archaeology magazine has an article on the
              Palermo mummies. There's an abstract and further reading on-line.
              http://www.archaeology.org/magazine.php?page=0305/abstracts/palermo

              --Morwenna
            • hasoferet@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                In a message dated 5/2/2003 3:03:04 AM Pacific Standard Time, sismith42@... writes:

                funny you should mention this... last night, I saw a book that
                basically took people from an Italian Crypt (monks & noblity, burried
                from the 15th century to the early 20th..), and wired them up
                as "living dead".  All senses of desecration and lack of respect for
                the earthly remains of somebody's ancestors aside, this book didn't
                seem to have many bodies displayed from the 15th or 16th centuries*
                :( Some interesting 19th century costumes were preseted, though.

                Stefania

                *as far as I could tell.  the guys wraped in cloth could have been
                from anytime, but I doubt people wore what basically ammounted to a
                sheet wraped around, holding the arms & legs together...

                Uhhh...I'm aware that there are European churches where the dead are displayed decoratively, but I was raised in a tradition where you put them in the ground and leave them there. Doing my best not to shudder and twitch.

                Raquel