Re: [Authentic_SCA] lightweight wool

  • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
    Message 1 of 17 , May 1, 2003
      At 12:24 PM 5/1/2003 -0400, you wrote:
      >apparently my email has really eaten your message yesterday (which
      >makes me wonder what else gets lost... but that is another issue).

      It's not in the archives either, which says that either yahoo had a serious
      problem yesterday (which I am inclined to believe) or that my server did
      (and no one else on the university complained).

      >And you are absolutely right: there is a lot of info in the archives!
      >I have read all the message - from what I understand it basically
      >boils down to: flannel is always good, suiting might be... and wool
      >crepe is not? (sorry to keep asking that one question over and over
      >again - I feel very stupid by now.) Wool crepe just doesn't seem to
      >be "right" after all I have read in the MoL book and having a vague
      >idea about how wool crepe feels like.

      That's my take on it pretty much, but do read the information just posted
      from Mistress Sharptooth about crepe and "Vikings".

      >(And if you search the archives for "crepe" it only spits out the
      >most recent messages with me whining about not knowing whether it is
      >OOP or not ;)).

      Um, did you look at the top of the messages area? The "next" button is a
      hot spot for you to go farther back into the archives.

      Smiles,
      Despina
    • Carolin
      Message 2 of 17 , May 2, 2003
        ok, as we were discussing fabric anyway and I really have to share
        this: I just got a package with wonderful upholstery fabric! won on
        ebay! 5.5yds for $34 incl. shipping! And it's so pretty (a bit on the
        heavy side which will affect draping...): nice rusty red with golden
        woven in pattern that looks almost like you can see in many drawings
        from the 15th c.
        (http://www.unitedtextilesinc.com/apr03/DSCN201348.jpg) - just
        because I really need to share ;)) ... and best of all... according
        to the burn test I just made it seems to be mostly if not 100%
        cotton! no poly for me! (or only very little)... but this baby will
        have to sit in my closet until fall... will make a nice houppe for
        12th night... :) + a nice hennin (already got the organza for the
        veil) *sigh*
        Sorry for taking up bandwith with stuff like that, but I think the
        lesson you can learn from this: sometimes you can find cool fabric on
        ebay ;)
        --
        Yours,
        Carolin - back to petting her fabric a bit more...

        ~*~ Carolin vom Adlersberg Barony of Storvik, Atlantia ~*~

        [...] Fride unde reht sint sêre wunt.
        diu driu enhabent geleites niht, diu zwei enwerden ê gesunt.
        Walter von der Vogelweide

        http://www.adlersberg.net