Re: [Authentic_SCA] lightweight wool

  • Carolin
    Message 1 of 17 , May 1, 2003
      >At 01:11 AM 5/1/2003 -0400, you wrote:
      > >The red wool from fashionfabricsclub is crepe, which brings back my
      > >old (unanswered) question whether wool crepe resembles anything that
      > >might have been worn in period (so far I strongly doubt that and
      > >therefore have not bought any wool crepe).
      >
      >Did you check message # 29533 and 29529 in the archives?
      >
      >Evidently this message didn't come through yesterday so here it is again:
      >
      >In the archives is much information. Please peruse it.

      Thanks Despina,

      apparently my email has really eaten your message yesterday (which
      makes me wonder what else gets lost... but that is another issue).
      And you are absolutely right: there is a lot of info in the archives!
      I have read all the message - from what I understand it basically
      boils down to: flannel is always good, suiting might be... and wool
      crepe is not? (sorry to keep asking that one question over and over
      again - I feel very stupid by now.) Wool crepe just doesn't seem to
      be "right" after all I have read in the MoL book and having a vague
      idea about how wool crepe feels like.
      (And if you search the archives for "crepe" it only spits out the
      most recent messages with me whining about not knowing whether it is
      OOP or not ;)).

      Sorry for being such a pain
      Carolin - after giving a talk + discussion that lasted more than 2 hours...

      ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
      ~*~ Carolin vom Adlersberg ~*~
      ~*~ Kingdom of Atlantia http://www.adlersberg.net ~*~

      [...] Fride unde reht sint sêre wunt.
      diu driu enhabent geleites niht, diu zwei enwerden ê gesunt.
      Walter von der Vogelweide
    • Adrienne
      Message 2 of 17 , May 1, 2003
        Lightweight wool doesn't have to be crepe. I have very lightweight wool
        that has a linen (slubby) weave to it and it's definitely NOT crepe. (I've
        got that too, btw, much different look and feel to it). I've also seen
        light weight tabby weave at my local wool supplier that is almost hanky
        weight (or pretty darned close).

        Ragna
      • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
        Message 3 of 17 , May 1, 2003
          At 12:24 PM 5/1/2003 -0400, you wrote:
          >apparently my email has really eaten your message yesterday (which
          >makes me wonder what else gets lost... but that is another issue).

          It's not in the archives either, which says that either yahoo had a serious
          problem yesterday (which I am inclined to believe) or that my server did
          (and no one else on the university complained).

          >And you are absolutely right: there is a lot of info in the archives!
          >I have read all the message - from what I understand it basically
          >boils down to: flannel is always good, suiting might be... and wool
          >crepe is not? (sorry to keep asking that one question over and over
          >again - I feel very stupid by now.) Wool crepe just doesn't seem to
          >be "right" after all I have read in the MoL book and having a vague
          >idea about how wool crepe feels like.

          That's my take on it pretty much, but do read the information just posted
          from Mistress Sharptooth about crepe and "Vikings".

          >(And if you search the archives for "crepe" it only spits out the
          >most recent messages with me whining about not knowing whether it is
          >OOP or not ;)).

          Um, did you look at the top of the messages area? The "next" button is a
          hot spot for you to go farther back into the archives.

          Smiles,
          Despina
        • Carolin
          Message 4 of 17 , May 2, 2003
            ok, as we were discussing fabric anyway and I really have to share
            this: I just got a package with wonderful upholstery fabric! won on
            ebay! 5.5yds for $34 incl. shipping! And it's so pretty (a bit on the
            heavy side which will affect draping...): nice rusty red with golden
            woven in pattern that looks almost like you can see in many drawings
            from the 15th c.
            (http://www.unitedtextilesinc.com/apr03/DSCN201348.jpg) - just
            because I really need to share ;)) ... and best of all... according
            to the burn test I just made it seems to be mostly if not 100%
            cotton! no poly for me! (or only very little)... but this baby will
            have to sit in my closet until fall... will make a nice houppe for
            12th night... :) + a nice hennin (already got the organza for the
            veil) *sigh*
            Sorry for taking up bandwith with stuff like that, but I think the
            lesson you can learn from this: sometimes you can find cool fabric on
            ebay ;)
            --
            Yours,
            Carolin - back to petting her fabric a bit more...

            ~*~ Carolin vom Adlersberg Barony of Storvik, Atlantia ~*~

            http://www.adlersberg.net