Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: fitted sleeves

  • Arianne de Chateaumichel
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2003
      Carolin wrote:

      >Uhm... my mock-up... well... that's sort of what this cotehardie
      >is... <snip>... and it is cheap cotton... so it
      >will be the dress worn at Pennsic when there is dirty work to do...
      >or when it is darn hot and everything else is dirty/drying... etc.
      >Nothing important... and definitely nothing that is authentic. it
      >just bugs me that the sleeves don't look like they should look (they
      >wrinkle in the front... not really under the arm - which would be
      >fine).

      Exactly where do the sleeves wrinkle in front? Near the shoulder? Bicep? Forearm?
      Where's your seam connecting the (lower) sleeves to the rest of the garment? Is the
      cheap cotton stiff, or flow-y? How tight are the sleeves?

      Off the top of my head, I would guess that either you have stiff cloth that won't do what
      it's supposed to or you have too much cloth in one area and no place for it to go,
      perhaps because other areas are more fitted. Maybe the sleeve itself is too long and
      snug?

      Your Servant,
      Lady Arianne de Chateaumichel

      Shire of Starhaven,
      Kingdom of Trimaris

      On the web at <http://www.chateau-michel.org>
    • Carolin
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2003
        >Carolin wrote:
        >
        > >Uhm... my mock-up... well... that's sort of what this cotehardie
        > >is... <snip>... and it is cheap cotton... so it
        > >will be the dress worn at Pennsic when there is dirty work to do...
        > >or when it is darn hot and everything else is dirty/drying... etc.
        > >Nothing important... and definitely nothing that is authentic. it
        > >just bugs me that the sleeves don't look like they should look (they
        > >wrinkle in the front... not really under the arm - which would be
        > >fine).
        >
        >Exactly where do the sleeves wrinkle in front? Near the shoulder?
        >Bicep? Forearm?
        >Where's your seam connecting the (lower) sleeves to the rest of the
        >garment? Is the
        >cheap cotton stiff, or flow-y? How tight are the sleeves?
        >
        >Off the top of my head, I would guess that either you have stiff
        >cloth that won't do what
        >it's supposed to or you have too much cloth in one area and no place
        >for it to go,
        >perhaps because other areas are more fitted. Maybe the sleeve
        >itself is too long and
        >snug?
        >

        >Your Servant,
        > Lady Arianne de Chateaumichel
        >
        >Shire of Starhaven,
        > Kingdom of Trimaris

        Lady Arianne,

        thanks so much for trying to help here, but I think my problems will
        all disappear tonight - thanks to Dame Brenna of Storvik and her
        weekly sewing night. At least I hope so... I have all pieces with me
        and hope that we can get it fitted right.

        Carolin - ever thankful for any kind of help.

        ~*~ Carolin vom Adlersberg ~*~
        ~*~ Kingdom of Atlantia http://www.adlersberg.net ~*~

        [...] Fride unde reht sint sêre wunt.
        diu driu enhabent geleites niht, diu zwei enwerden ê gesunt.
        Walter von der Vogelweide