RE: [Authentic_SCA] Internet fabric stores

  • Generys ferch Ednuyed
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2003
      -----Original Message-----
      From:
      sentto-2322287-32113-1051799612-Generys=blazemail.com@....c
      om
      [mailto:sentto-2322287-32113-1051799612-Generys=blazemail.com@...
      .yahoo.com] On Behalf Of Sheila McClune
      Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2003 10:33 AM
      To: Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com

      > From: "Generys ferch Ednuyed" <Generys@...>
      > Subject: RE: Re: internet fabric stores
      >

      > www.fabric.com is good, as is www.fabrics-store.com . I also like
      > www.dharmatrading.com and am about to order some stuff from
      > www.denverfabrics.com, as I've heard good things about them. Can't help
      you
      > with the book though, sorry!

      <<<<

      I can pipe in with some info here, since Denver Fabrics is local to us

      Hmm, if you've been in there lately, is that Italian velvet on their site as
      yummy as it looks online?

      Generys
    • Sheila McClune
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2003
        > From: "Generys ferch Ednuyed" <Generys@...>
        > Subject: RE: Re: internet fabric stores
        >

        > www.fabric.com is good, as is www.fabrics-store.com . I also like
        > www.dharmatrading.com and am about to order some stuff from
        > www.denverfabrics.com, as I've heard good things about them. Can't help you
        > with the book though, sorry!

        <<<<

        I can pipe in with some info here, since Denver Fabrics is local to us

        Denver Fabrics (or DF, for short), is one of the few fabric stores I
        know of where the employees are *required* to learn the various ways of
        telling the content of various fabrics. (There are a couple of local
        SCA folks working there, including a friend of mine, and she's told us
        about having to learn these sorts of things.) So if they say it's
        "linen", there's a very good chance that it really is. The poly/cotton
        fabrics pretending to be linen are usually labelled as "Linen-Look" or
        "Linen Weave".

        The other important thing to note is that they are making it a point to
        carry fabrics and notions helpful for historical reenactors. (After
        all, there are very few other groups who are coming in and buying fabric
        in 10+ yard swatches these days ....) So if there are notions and
        supplies that you would like to see them carry, try dropping them a line
        and letting them know about it.

        Arwen
        Barony of Caerthe, Outlands
        (Denver, CO)
      • Dianne & Greg Stucki
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2003
          I would be best pleased if they had a way to pay by money order for those of us who use neither credit cards nor checks...

          sniff

          Laurensa

          wants to order from Denver Fabrics!

          Message 4 of 4 , May 2, 2003
            Hi,

            Its not Denver Fabrics, but TrimFabrics, will let you send a money order, I have ordered twice from them with excellent service and results.  Their selection varies as their stock is overruns from clothing production, silks, 100% wools of various weights, linens, right now they have a linen organza I'd love to buy if I could afford 19.95 a yard.  http://www.trimfabric.com/

            Fabric.com will also accept money orders.

            So you can enjoy some of the online stores and pay in a way you are comfortable with.  Another option is buying those prepaid credit cards with a set amount on them.  Then you could do Denver Fabrics.

            YIS,
            Nastasia