archives

  • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
    Message 1 of 17 , May 1, 2003
      Yes, this is a reideration of a post contained in the header "lightweight
      wool". I thought it a good idea to restate the information with a header
      that reflects what this post is more specifically about.

      >You can search the archives by topic such as "period wool" or "wool" or
      >"appropriate wool" or "good wool" etc. One needn't go through the entire
      >archive to find information on a particular subject.
      >
      >This is also why it's a good idea to change the subject of a thread once it
      >deviates from the original topic - the search that happens when you look
      >for something in the abovementioned manner is done by thread title. So if
      >we're talking about hair fashions and the discussion moves into hats - the
      >subject line needs to be changed to reflect that otherwise that information
      >will be difficult to find in the archives.

      Smiles,
      Despina
    • sismith42
      Message 2 of 17 , May 1, 2003
        > >This is also why it's a good idea to change the subject of a
        thread once it deviates from the original topic - the search that
        happens when you look for something in the abovementioned manner is
        done by thread title. So if we're talking about hair fashions and
        the discussion moves into hats - the subject line needs to be changed
        to reflect that otherwise that information will be difficult to find
        in the archives.

        Are you sure? I was allways under the impression that the archives
        search feature looked for words in the body of the message, and not
        just the subject line. Certainly meassages titled
        "Re: Digest # [number]" come up, and that's nothing like what I'm
        searching for (most recently, hairnets)!

        That said, it's a good idea to change the subject heading just so
        people know what you're talking about!

        :-) Stefania
      • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
        Message 3 of 17 , May 1, 2003

          Are you sure?  I was allways under the impression that the archives
          search feature looked for words in the body of the message, and not
          just the subject line.  Certainly meassages titled
          "Re: Digest # [number]" come up, and that's nothing like what I'm
          searching for (most recently, hairnets)!

          You're correct.  However, it's much simpler to see the header of "Casting" and know that the contents will be about casting rather than seeing the header of "portrait" and going through the message to find that someone said that the necklace was probably made with some sort of casting method.....  Just makes things easier for everyone....

          Sorry I misspoke.  My brain is jumbled today.

          Smiles,
          Despina
        • Carolin
          Message 4 of 17 , May 1, 2003
            >At 01:11 AM 5/1/2003 -0400, you wrote:
            > >The red wool from fashionfabricsclub is crepe, which brings back my
            > >old (unanswered) question whether wool crepe resembles anything that
            > >might have been worn in period (so far I strongly doubt that and
            > >therefore have not bought any wool crepe).
            >
            >Did you check message # 29533 and 29529 in the archives?
            >
            >Evidently this message didn't come through yesterday so here it is again:
            >
            >In the archives is much information. Please peruse it.

            Thanks Despina,

            apparently my email has really eaten your message yesterday (which
            makes me wonder what else gets lost... but that is another issue).
            And you are absolutely right: there is a lot of info in the archives!
            I have read all the message - from what I understand it basically
            boils down to: flannel is always good, suiting might be... and wool
            crepe is not? (sorry to keep asking that one question over and over
            again - I feel very stupid by now.) Wool crepe just doesn't seem to
            be "right" after all I have read in the MoL book and having a vague
            idea about how wool crepe feels like.
            (And if you search the archives for "crepe" it only spits out the
            most recent messages with me whining about not knowing whether it is
            OOP or not ;)).

            Sorry for being such a pain
            Carolin - after giving a talk + discussion that lasted more than 2 hours...

            ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
            ~*~ Carolin vom Adlersberg ~*~
            ~*~ Kingdom of Atlantia http://www.adlersberg.net ~*~

            [...] Fride unde reht sint sêre wunt.
            diu driu enhabent geleites niht, diu zwei enwerden ê gesunt.
            Walter von der Vogelweide
          • Adrienne
            Message 5 of 17 , May 1, 2003
              Lightweight wool doesn't have to be crepe. I have very lightweight wool
              that has a linen (slubby) weave to it and it's definitely NOT crepe. (I've
              got that too, btw, much different look and feel to it). I've also seen
              light weight tabby weave at my local wool supplier that is almost hanky
              weight (or pretty darned close).

              Ragna
            • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
              Message 6 of 17 , May 1, 2003
                At 12:24 PM 5/1/2003 -0400, you wrote:
                >apparently my email has really eaten your message yesterday (which
                >makes me wonder what else gets lost... but that is another issue).

                It's not in the archives either, which says that either yahoo had a serious
                problem yesterday (which I am inclined to believe) or that my server did
                (and no one else on the university complained).

                >And you are absolutely right: there is a lot of info in the archives!
                >I have read all the message - from what I understand it basically
                >boils down to: flannel is always good, suiting might be... and wool
                >crepe is not? (sorry to keep asking that one question over and over
                >again - I feel very stupid by now.) Wool crepe just doesn't seem to
                >be "right" after all I have read in the MoL book and having a vague
                >idea about how wool crepe feels like.

                That's my take on it pretty much, but do read the information just posted
                from Mistress Sharptooth about crepe and "Vikings".

                >(And if you search the archives for "crepe" it only spits out the
                >most recent messages with me whining about not knowing whether it is
                >OOP or not ;)).

                Um, did you look at the top of the messages area? The "next" button is a
                hot spot for you to go farther back into the archives.

                Smiles,
                Despina
              • Carolin
                Message 7 of 17 , May 2, 2003
                  ok, as we were discussing fabric anyway and I really have to share
                  this: I just got a package with wonderful upholstery fabric! won on
                  ebay! 5.5yds for $34 incl. shipping! And it's so pretty (a bit on the
                  heavy side which will affect draping...): nice rusty red with golden
                  woven in pattern that looks almost like you can see in many drawings
                  from the 15th c.
                  (http://www.unitedtextilesinc.com/apr03/DSCN201348.jpg) - just
                  because I really need to share ;)) ... and best of all... according
                  to the burn test I just made it seems to be mostly if not 100%
                  cotton! no poly for me! (or only very little)... but this baby will
                  have to sit in my closet until fall... will make a nice houppe for
                  12th night... :) + a nice hennin (already got the organza for the
                  veil) *sigh*
                  Sorry for taking up bandwith with stuff like that, but I think the
                  lesson you can learn from this: sometimes you can find cool fabric on
                  ebay ;)
                  --
                  Yours,
                  Carolin - back to petting her fabric a bit more...

                  ~*~ Carolin vom Adlersberg Barony of Storvik, Atlantia ~*~

                  http://www.adlersberg.net