Re: [Authentic_SCA] lightweight wool

  • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
    Message 1 of 17 , May 1, 2003
      At 01:11 AM 5/1/2003 -0400, you wrote:
      >The red wool from fashionfabricsclub is crepe, which brings back my
      >old (unanswered) question whether wool crepe resembles anything that
      >might have been worn in period (so far I strongly doubt that and
      >therefore have not bought any wool crepe).

      Did you check message # 29533 and 29529 in the archives?

      Evidently this message didn't come through yesterday so here it is again:

      In the archives is much information. Please peruse it.

      on the topic of period wools:
      30497 and 30544 and 30623

      29529 and 29548 and 29533 and 29535
      and 29537 (which includes an online source) and 29551

      You can search the archives by topic such as "period wool" or "wool" or
      "appropriate wool" or "good wool" etc. One needn't go through the entire
      archive to find information on a particular subject.

      This is also why it's a good idea to change the subject of a thread once it
      deviates from the original topic - the search that happens when you look
      for something in the abovementioned manner is done by thread title. So if
      we're talking about hair fashions and the discussion moves into hats - the
      subject line needs to be changed to reflect that otherwise that information
      will be difficult to find in the archives.

      Smiles,
      Despina
    • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
      Message 2 of 17 , May 1, 2003
        Yes, this is a reideration of a post contained in the header "lightweight
        wool". I thought it a good idea to restate the information with a header
        that reflects what this post is more specifically about.

        >You can search the archives by topic such as "period wool" or "wool" or
        >"appropriate wool" or "good wool" etc. One needn't go through the entire
        >archive to find information on a particular subject.
        >
        >This is also why it's a good idea to change the subject of a thread once it
        >deviates from the original topic - the search that happens when you look
        >for something in the abovementioned manner is done by thread title. So if
        >we're talking about hair fashions and the discussion moves into hats - the
        >subject line needs to be changed to reflect that otherwise that information
        >will be difficult to find in the archives.

        Smiles,
        Despina
      • sismith42
        Message 3 of 17 , May 1, 2003
          > >This is also why it's a good idea to change the subject of a
          thread once it deviates from the original topic - the search that
          happens when you look for something in the abovementioned manner is
          done by thread title. So if we're talking about hair fashions and
          the discussion moves into hats - the subject line needs to be changed
          to reflect that otherwise that information will be difficult to find
          in the archives.

          Are you sure? I was allways under the impression that the archives
          search feature looked for words in the body of the message, and not
          just the subject line. Certainly meassages titled
          "Re: Digest # [number]" come up, and that's nothing like what I'm
          searching for (most recently, hairnets)!

          That said, it's a good idea to change the subject heading just so
          people know what you're talking about!

          :-) Stefania
        • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
          Message 4 of 17 , May 1, 2003

            Are you sure?  I was allways under the impression that the archives
            search feature looked for words in the body of the message, and not
            just the subject line.  Certainly meassages titled
            "Re: Digest # [number]" come up, and that's nothing like what I'm
            searching for (most recently, hairnets)!

            You're correct.  However, it's much simpler to see the header of "Casting" and know that the contents will be about casting rather than seeing the header of "portrait" and going through the message to find that someone said that the necklace was probably made with some sort of casting method.....  Just makes things easier for everyone....

            Sorry I misspoke.  My brain is jumbled today.

            Smiles,
            Despina
          • Carolin
            Message 5 of 17 , May 1, 2003
              >At 01:11 AM 5/1/2003 -0400, you wrote:
              > >The red wool from fashionfabricsclub is crepe, which brings back my
              > >old (unanswered) question whether wool crepe resembles anything that
              > >might have been worn in period (so far I strongly doubt that and
              > >therefore have not bought any wool crepe).
              >
              >Did you check message # 29533 and 29529 in the archives?
              >
              >Evidently this message didn't come through yesterday so here it is again:
              >
              >In the archives is much information. Please peruse it.

              Thanks Despina,

              apparently my email has really eaten your message yesterday (which
              makes me wonder what else gets lost... but that is another issue).
              And you are absolutely right: there is a lot of info in the archives!
              I have read all the message - from what I understand it basically
              boils down to: flannel is always good, suiting might be... and wool
              crepe is not? (sorry to keep asking that one question over and over
              again - I feel very stupid by now.) Wool crepe just doesn't seem to
              be "right" after all I have read in the MoL book and having a vague
              idea about how wool crepe feels like.
              (And if you search the archives for "crepe" it only spits out the
              most recent messages with me whining about not knowing whether it is
              OOP or not ;)).

              Sorry for being such a pain
              Carolin - after giving a talk + discussion that lasted more than 2 hours...

              ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
              ~*~ Carolin vom Adlersberg ~*~
              ~*~ Kingdom of Atlantia http://www.adlersberg.net ~*~

              [...] Fride unde reht sint sêre wunt.
              diu driu enhabent geleites niht, diu zwei enwerden ê gesunt.
              Walter von der Vogelweide
            • Adrienne
              Message 6 of 17 , May 1, 2003
                Lightweight wool doesn't have to be crepe. I have very lightweight wool
                that has a linen (slubby) weave to it and it's definitely NOT crepe. (I've
                got that too, btw, much different look and feel to it). I've also seen
                light weight tabby weave at my local wool supplier that is almost hanky
                weight (or pretty darned close).

                Ragna
              • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                Message 7 of 17 , May 1, 2003
                  At 12:24 PM 5/1/2003 -0400, you wrote:
                  >apparently my email has really eaten your message yesterday (which
                  >makes me wonder what else gets lost... but that is another issue).

                  It's not in the archives either, which says that either yahoo had a serious
                  problem yesterday (which I am inclined to believe) or that my server did
                  (and no one else on the university complained).

                  >And you are absolutely right: there is a lot of info in the archives!
                  >I have read all the message - from what I understand it basically
                  >boils down to: flannel is always good, suiting might be... and wool
                  >crepe is not? (sorry to keep asking that one question over and over
                  >again - I feel very stupid by now.) Wool crepe just doesn't seem to
                  >be "right" after all I have read in the MoL book and having a vague
                  >idea about how wool crepe feels like.

                  That's my take on it pretty much, but do read the information just posted
                  from Mistress Sharptooth about crepe and "Vikings".

                  >(And if you search the archives for "crepe" it only spits out the
                  >most recent messages with me whining about not knowing whether it is
                  >OOP or not ;)).

                  Um, did you look at the top of the messages area? The "next" button is a
                  hot spot for you to go farther back into the archives.

                  Smiles,
                  Despina
                • Carolin
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 2, 2003
                    ok, as we were discussing fabric anyway and I really have to share
                    this: I just got a package with wonderful upholstery fabric! won on
                    ebay! 5.5yds for $34 incl. shipping! And it's so pretty (a bit on the
                    heavy side which will affect draping...): nice rusty red with golden
                    woven in pattern that looks almost like you can see in many drawings
                    from the 15th c.
                    (http://www.unitedtextilesinc.com/apr03/DSCN201348.jpg) - just
                    because I really need to share ;)) ... and best of all... according
                    to the burn test I just made it seems to be mostly if not 100%
                    cotton! no poly for me! (or only very little)... but this baby will
                    have to sit in my closet until fall... will make a nice houppe for
                    12th night... :) + a nice hennin (already got the organza for the
                    veil) *sigh*
                    Sorry for taking up bandwith with stuff like that, but I think the
                    lesson you can learn from this: sometimes you can find cool fabric on
                    ebay ;)
                    --
                    Yours,
                    Carolin - back to petting her fabric a bit more...

                    ~*~ Carolin vom Adlersberg Barony of Storvik, Atlantia ~*~

                    http://www.adlersberg.net