Re: [Authentic_SCA] lightweight wool

  • Mary Denise Smith
    Message 1 of 17 , May 1 5:59 AM
      In a recent post on the SCA Garb list (I think it was that list),
      Mistress Thora Sharptooth explained the mechanics of crepe, and that
      creped yarn was used for weaving in the Viking era that she studies.
      Modern "crepe", especially non-wool crepe, is not the same mechanically
      as those fabrics. Modern lightweight wool crepe is made of creped yarns.
      You have to inspect the yardage to see if it is just that - intersecting
      creped yarns without the addition of "specialty" yarns.

      Having said that, just because a fabric was used in one time and place
      does not make it correct for another.

      I am sorry that I missed the early part of this conversation, so I don't
      know what time and place you are thinking about. I do late period
      English, and would consider wool crepe if it met other criteria for a
      particular garment. Please note that I said "consider".

      Hope this helps,

      MD/Marged

      Carolin wrote:
      > The red wool from fashionfabricsclub is crepe, which brings back my old (unanswered) question whether wool crepe resembles anything that might have been worn in period (so far I strongly doubt that and therefore have not bought any wool crepe).>>
    • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
      Message 2 of 17 , May 1 6:32 AM
        At 01:11 AM 5/1/2003 -0400, you wrote:
        >The red wool from fashionfabricsclub is crepe, which brings back my
        >old (unanswered) question whether wool crepe resembles anything that
        >might have been worn in period (so far I strongly doubt that and
        >therefore have not bought any wool crepe).

        Did you check message # 29533 and 29529 in the archives?

        Evidently this message didn't come through yesterday so here it is again:

        In the archives is much information. Please peruse it.

        on the topic of period wools:
        30497 and 30544 and 30623

        29529 and 29548 and 29533 and 29535
        and 29537 (which includes an online source) and 29551

        You can search the archives by topic such as "period wool" or "wool" or
        "appropriate wool" or "good wool" etc. One needn't go through the entire
        archive to find information on a particular subject.

        This is also why it's a good idea to change the subject of a thread once it
        deviates from the original topic - the search that happens when you look
        for something in the abovementioned manner is done by thread title. So if
        we're talking about hair fashions and the discussion moves into hats - the
        subject line needs to be changed to reflect that otherwise that information
        will be difficult to find in the archives.

        Smiles,
        Despina
      • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
        Message 3 of 17 , May 1 6:35 AM
          Yes, this is a reideration of a post contained in the header "lightweight
          wool". I thought it a good idea to restate the information with a header
          that reflects what this post is more specifically about.

          >You can search the archives by topic such as "period wool" or "wool" or
          >"appropriate wool" or "good wool" etc. One needn't go through the entire
          >archive to find information on a particular subject.
          >
          >This is also why it's a good idea to change the subject of a thread once it
          >deviates from the original topic - the search that happens when you look
          >for something in the abovementioned manner is done by thread title. So if
          >we're talking about hair fashions and the discussion moves into hats - the
          >subject line needs to be changed to reflect that otherwise that information
          >will be difficult to find in the archives.

          Smiles,
          Despina
        • sismith42
          Message 4 of 17 , May 1 7:12 AM
            > >This is also why it's a good idea to change the subject of a
            thread once it deviates from the original topic - the search that
            happens when you look for something in the abovementioned manner is
            done by thread title. So if we're talking about hair fashions and
            the discussion moves into hats - the subject line needs to be changed
            to reflect that otherwise that information will be difficult to find
            in the archives.

            Are you sure? I was allways under the impression that the archives
            search feature looked for words in the body of the message, and not
            just the subject line. Certainly meassages titled
            "Re: Digest # [number]" come up, and that's nothing like what I'm
            searching for (most recently, hairnets)!

            That said, it's a good idea to change the subject heading just so
            people know what you're talking about!

            :-) Stefania
          • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
            Message 5 of 17 , May 1 7:20 AM

              Are you sure?  I was allways under the impression that the archives
              search feature looked for words in the body of the message, and not
              just the subject line.  Certainly meassages titled
              "Re: Digest # [number]" come up, and that's nothing like what I'm
              searching for (most recently, hairnets)!

              You're correct.  However, it's much simpler to see the header of "Casting" and know that the contents will be about casting rather than seeing the header of "portrait" and going through the message to find that someone said that the necklace was probably made with some sort of casting method.....  Just makes things easier for everyone....

              Sorry I misspoke.  My brain is jumbled today.

              Smiles,
              Despina
            • Carolin
              Message 6 of 17 , May 1 9:24 AM
                >At 01:11 AM 5/1/2003 -0400, you wrote:
                > >The red wool from fashionfabricsclub is crepe, which brings back my
                > >old (unanswered) question whether wool crepe resembles anything that
                > >might have been worn in period (so far I strongly doubt that and
                > >therefore have not bought any wool crepe).
                >
                >Did you check message # 29533 and 29529 in the archives?
                >
                >Evidently this message didn't come through yesterday so here it is again:
                >
                >In the archives is much information. Please peruse it.

                Thanks Despina,

                apparently my email has really eaten your message yesterday (which
                makes me wonder what else gets lost... but that is another issue).
                And you are absolutely right: there is a lot of info in the archives!
                I have read all the message - from what I understand it basically
                boils down to: flannel is always good, suiting might be... and wool
                crepe is not? (sorry to keep asking that one question over and over
                again - I feel very stupid by now.) Wool crepe just doesn't seem to
                be "right" after all I have read in the MoL book and having a vague
                idea about how wool crepe feels like.
                (And if you search the archives for "crepe" it only spits out the
                most recent messages with me whining about not knowing whether it is
                OOP or not ;)).

                Sorry for being such a pain
                Carolin - after giving a talk + discussion that lasted more than 2 hours...

                ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
                ~*~ Carolin vom Adlersberg ~*~
                ~*~ Kingdom of Atlantia http://www.adlersberg.net ~*~

                [...] Fride unde reht sint sêre wunt.
                diu driu enhabent geleites niht, diu zwei enwerden ê gesunt.
                Walter von der Vogelweide
              • Adrienne
                Message 7 of 17 , May 1 9:35 AM
                  Lightweight wool doesn't have to be crepe. I have very lightweight wool
                  that has a linen (slubby) weave to it and it's definitely NOT crepe. (I've
                  got that too, btw, much different look and feel to it). I've also seen
                  light weight tabby weave at my local wool supplier that is almost hanky
                  weight (or pretty darned close).

                  Ragna
                • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 1 9:44 AM
                    At 12:24 PM 5/1/2003 -0400, you wrote:
                    >apparently my email has really eaten your message yesterday (which
                    >makes me wonder what else gets lost... but that is another issue).

                    It's not in the archives either, which says that either yahoo had a serious
                    problem yesterday (which I am inclined to believe) or that my server did
                    (and no one else on the university complained).

                    >And you are absolutely right: there is a lot of info in the archives!
                    >I have read all the message - from what I understand it basically
                    >boils down to: flannel is always good, suiting might be... and wool
                    >crepe is not? (sorry to keep asking that one question over and over
                    >again - I feel very stupid by now.) Wool crepe just doesn't seem to
                    >be "right" after all I have read in the MoL book and having a vague
                    >idea about how wool crepe feels like.

                    That's my take on it pretty much, but do read the information just posted
                    from Mistress Sharptooth about crepe and "Vikings".

                    >(And if you search the archives for "crepe" it only spits out the
                    >most recent messages with me whining about not knowing whether it is
                    >OOP or not ;)).

                    Um, did you look at the top of the messages area? The "next" button is a
                    hot spot for you to go farther back into the archives.

                    Smiles,
                    Despina
                  • Carolin
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 2 5:31 PM
                      ok, as we were discussing fabric anyway and I really have to share
                      this: I just got a package with wonderful upholstery fabric! won on
                      ebay! 5.5yds for $34 incl. shipping! And it's so pretty (a bit on the
                      heavy side which will affect draping...): nice rusty red with golden
                      woven in pattern that looks almost like you can see in many drawings
                      from the 15th c.
                      (http://www.unitedtextilesinc.com/apr03/DSCN201348.jpg) - just
                      because I really need to share ;)) ... and best of all... according
                      to the burn test I just made it seems to be mostly if not 100%
                      cotton! no poly for me! (or only very little)... but this baby will
                      have to sit in my closet until fall... will make a nice houppe for
                      12th night... :) + a nice hennin (already got the organza for the
                      veil) *sigh*
                      Sorry for taking up bandwith with stuff like that, but I think the
                      lesson you can learn from this: sometimes you can find cool fabric on
                      ebay ;)
                      --
                      Yours,
                      Carolin - back to petting her fabric a bit more...

                      ~*~ Carolin vom Adlersberg Barony of Storvik, Atlantia ~*~

                      http://www.adlersberg.net