RE: [Authentic_SCA] lightweight wool

  • Aoife Ní Rónán
    Message 1 of 17 , May 1, 2003
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Marion McNealy [mailto:m_mc_nealy@...]
      Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2003 1:02 AM
      To: Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Authentic_SCA] lightweight wool

      Tropical and lightweight wool is not as hard to come by as you seem to
      think, you don't really need a time machine, just the right website. :)

      <snip>

      -Marion
      Who really needs to stop looking at fabric and get to bed. ^yawn^

      Boy, I could probably make a bundle going to Jomars in philadelphia,
      buying large quantities for $3-5/yd and reselling online, they've got
      tons of colors aside from black, grey, and blue (saw some gorgeous
      muted purple last Saturday, but didn't really have the money to stash
      it). Only problem with that being the initial investment money for such
      a venture, since mine is currently going toward a new bernina
      sewing/embroidery machine. :-)

      - Aoife Ní Rónán / Aoife Ben Conaill
      (Aoife ingen Rónán uí Cillíne ben Conaill Meic Bradaigh)
      m.k.a.: Marie K. Altobelli
      Seam and Songstress
      Canton of Forestgate
      East Kingdom
    • Mary Denise Smith
      Message 2 of 17 , May 1, 2003
        In a recent post on the SCA Garb list (I think it was that list),
        Mistress Thora Sharptooth explained the mechanics of crepe, and that
        creped yarn was used for weaving in the Viking era that she studies.
        Modern "crepe", especially non-wool crepe, is not the same mechanically
        as those fabrics. Modern lightweight wool crepe is made of creped yarns.
        You have to inspect the yardage to see if it is just that - intersecting
        creped yarns without the addition of "specialty" yarns.

        Having said that, just because a fabric was used in one time and place
        does not make it correct for another.

        I am sorry that I missed the early part of this conversation, so I don't
        know what time and place you are thinking about. I do late period
        English, and would consider wool crepe if it met other criteria for a
        particular garment. Please note that I said "consider".

        Hope this helps,

        MD/Marged

        Carolin wrote:
        > The red wool from fashionfabricsclub is crepe, which brings back my old (unanswered) question whether wool crepe resembles anything that might have been worn in period (so far I strongly doubt that and therefore have not bought any wool crepe).>>
      • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
        Message 3 of 17 , May 1, 2003
          At 01:11 AM 5/1/2003 -0400, you wrote:
          >The red wool from fashionfabricsclub is crepe, which brings back my
          >old (unanswered) question whether wool crepe resembles anything that
          >might have been worn in period (so far I strongly doubt that and
          >therefore have not bought any wool crepe).

          Did you check message # 29533 and 29529 in the archives?

          Evidently this message didn't come through yesterday so here it is again:

          In the archives is much information. Please peruse it.

          on the topic of period wools:
          30497 and 30544 and 30623

          29529 and 29548 and 29533 and 29535
          and 29537 (which includes an online source) and 29551

          You can search the archives by topic such as "period wool" or "wool" or
          "appropriate wool" or "good wool" etc. One needn't go through the entire
          archive to find information on a particular subject.

          This is also why it's a good idea to change the subject of a thread once it
          deviates from the original topic - the search that happens when you look
          for something in the abovementioned manner is done by thread title. So if
          we're talking about hair fashions and the discussion moves into hats - the
          subject line needs to be changed to reflect that otherwise that information
          will be difficult to find in the archives.

          Smiles,
          Despina
        • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
          Message 4 of 17 , May 1, 2003
            Yes, this is a reideration of a post contained in the header "lightweight
            wool". I thought it a good idea to restate the information with a header
            that reflects what this post is more specifically about.

            >You can search the archives by topic such as "period wool" or "wool" or
            >"appropriate wool" or "good wool" etc. One needn't go through the entire
            >archive to find information on a particular subject.
            >
            >This is also why it's a good idea to change the subject of a thread once it
            >deviates from the original topic - the search that happens when you look
            >for something in the abovementioned manner is done by thread title. So if
            >we're talking about hair fashions and the discussion moves into hats - the
            >subject line needs to be changed to reflect that otherwise that information
            >will be difficult to find in the archives.

            Smiles,
            Despina
          • sismith42
            Message 5 of 17 , May 1, 2003
              > >This is also why it's a good idea to change the subject of a
              thread once it deviates from the original topic - the search that
              happens when you look for something in the abovementioned manner is
              done by thread title. So if we're talking about hair fashions and
              the discussion moves into hats - the subject line needs to be changed
              to reflect that otherwise that information will be difficult to find
              in the archives.

              Are you sure? I was allways under the impression that the archives
              search feature looked for words in the body of the message, and not
              just the subject line. Certainly meassages titled
              "Re: Digest # [number]" come up, and that's nothing like what I'm
              searching for (most recently, hairnets)!

              That said, it's a good idea to change the subject heading just so
              people know what you're talking about!

              :-) Stefania
            • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
              Message 6 of 17 , May 1, 2003

                Are you sure?  I was allways under the impression that the archives
                search feature looked for words in the body of the message, and not
                just the subject line.  Certainly meassages titled
                "Re: Digest # [number]" come up, and that's nothing like what I'm
                searching for (most recently, hairnets)!

                You're correct.  However, it's much simpler to see the header of "Casting" and know that the contents will be about casting rather than seeing the header of "portrait" and going through the message to find that someone said that the necklace was probably made with some sort of casting method.....  Just makes things easier for everyone....

                Sorry I misspoke.  My brain is jumbled today.

                Smiles,
                Despina
              • Carolin
                Message 7 of 17 , May 1, 2003
                  >At 01:11 AM 5/1/2003 -0400, you wrote:
                  > >The red wool from fashionfabricsclub is crepe, which brings back my
                  > >old (unanswered) question whether wool crepe resembles anything that
                  > >might have been worn in period (so far I strongly doubt that and
                  > >therefore have not bought any wool crepe).
                  >
                  >Did you check message # 29533 and 29529 in the archives?
                  >
                  >Evidently this message didn't come through yesterday so here it is again:
                  >
                  >In the archives is much information. Please peruse it.

                  Thanks Despina,

                  apparently my email has really eaten your message yesterday (which
                  makes me wonder what else gets lost... but that is another issue).
                  And you are absolutely right: there is a lot of info in the archives!
                  I have read all the message - from what I understand it basically
                  boils down to: flannel is always good, suiting might be... and wool
                  crepe is not? (sorry to keep asking that one question over and over
                  again - I feel very stupid by now.) Wool crepe just doesn't seem to
                  be "right" after all I have read in the MoL book and having a vague
                  idea about how wool crepe feels like.
                  (And if you search the archives for "crepe" it only spits out the
                  most recent messages with me whining about not knowing whether it is
                  OOP or not ;)).

                  Sorry for being such a pain
                  Carolin - after giving a talk + discussion that lasted more than 2 hours...

                  ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
                  ~*~ Carolin vom Adlersberg ~*~
                  ~*~ Kingdom of Atlantia http://www.adlersberg.net ~*~

                  [...] Fride unde reht sint sêre wunt.
                  diu driu enhabent geleites niht, diu zwei enwerden ê gesunt.
                  Walter von der Vogelweide
                • Adrienne
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 1, 2003
                    Lightweight wool doesn't have to be crepe. I have very lightweight wool
                    that has a linen (slubby) weave to it and it's definitely NOT crepe. (I've
                    got that too, btw, much different look and feel to it). I've also seen
                    light weight tabby weave at my local wool supplier that is almost hanky
                    weight (or pretty darned close).

                    Ragna
                  • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 1, 2003
                      At 12:24 PM 5/1/2003 -0400, you wrote:
                      >apparently my email has really eaten your message yesterday (which
                      >makes me wonder what else gets lost... but that is another issue).

                      It's not in the archives either, which says that either yahoo had a serious
                      problem yesterday (which I am inclined to believe) or that my server did
                      (and no one else on the university complained).

                      >And you are absolutely right: there is a lot of info in the archives!
                      >I have read all the message - from what I understand it basically
                      >boils down to: flannel is always good, suiting might be... and wool
                      >crepe is not? (sorry to keep asking that one question over and over
                      >again - I feel very stupid by now.) Wool crepe just doesn't seem to
                      >be "right" after all I have read in the MoL book and having a vague
                      >idea about how wool crepe feels like.

                      That's my take on it pretty much, but do read the information just posted
                      from Mistress Sharptooth about crepe and "Vikings".

                      >(And if you search the archives for "crepe" it only spits out the
                      >most recent messages with me whining about not knowing whether it is
                      >OOP or not ;)).

                      Um, did you look at the top of the messages area? The "next" button is a
                      hot spot for you to go farther back into the archives.

                      Smiles,
                      Despina
                    • Carolin
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 2, 2003
                        ok, as we were discussing fabric anyway and I really have to share
                        this: I just got a package with wonderful upholstery fabric! won on
                        ebay! 5.5yds for $34 incl. shipping! And it's so pretty (a bit on the
                        heavy side which will affect draping...): nice rusty red with golden
                        woven in pattern that looks almost like you can see in many drawings
                        from the 15th c.
                        (http://www.unitedtextilesinc.com/apr03/DSCN201348.jpg) - just
                        because I really need to share ;)) ... and best of all... according
                        to the burn test I just made it seems to be mostly if not 100%
                        cotton! no poly for me! (or only very little)... but this baby will
                        have to sit in my closet until fall... will make a nice houppe for
                        12th night... :) + a nice hennin (already got the organza for the
                        veil) *sigh*
                        Sorry for taking up bandwith with stuff like that, but I think the
                        lesson you can learn from this: sometimes you can find cool fabric on
                        ebay ;)
                        --
                        Yours,
                        Carolin - back to petting her fabric a bit more...

                        ~*~ Carolin vom Adlersberg Barony of Storvik, Atlantia ~*~

                        http://www.adlersberg.net