Re: [Authentic_SCA] lightweight wool

  • Carolin
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 30, 2003
      >Tropical and lightweight wool is not as hard to come by as you seem
      >to think, you don't really need a time machine, just the right
      >website. :)
      >
      ><http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com>www.fashionfabricsclub.com usually
      >has it and for under $10 a yard. I bought some a while ago, dark
      >blue and dark green, both $5 a yard. Right now they only have it in
      >a bright red and several checkerd patterns for around $9 a yard.
      >When shopping for lightweight wool online, I look for wool that is
      >worsted and that is listed as being good for blouses and dresses,
      >that usually means that it is on the very lightweight side.
      > Here's the link for the wool section, I have it bookmarked and
      >check everyweek for new stuff. Yes, I buy waaaaay too much fabric,
      >but I only buy stuff that is under $6 a yard. Let me rephrase that,
      >I mostly buy fabric that is under $6 a yard and am occasionally
      >tempted to buy more expensive fabric, especially silk fabrics.....
      >*sigh*
      >
      ><http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/home/catalog_items.cfm?TypID=5&ViewBy=Types>http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/home/catalog_items.cfm?TypID=5&ViewBy=Types
      >
      >Denver Fabrics also has it too, although slightly more expensive
      >they have more selection too, nice light to medium blues, browns,
      >purples and greens. Currently they have a wide selection of merino
      >and italian wools in the 5.6 oz per yard range (which is pretty
      >lightweight), 60 inches wide, $11-15 a yard. You can also order
      >swatches to see what the fabric is like before you buy it.
      ><http://www.denverfabrics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=001&Category_Code=WO-%20solid&Offset=0&page_count=1>http://www.denverfabrics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=001&Category_Code=WO-%20solid&Offset=0&page_count=1
      >
      >-Marion
      >Who really needs to stop looking at fabric and get to bed. ^yawn^

      thanks Marion, but I am familiar with both sites and have stared at
      their (and several other website's) wool selections for quite some
      time.
      The red wool from fashionfabricsclub is crepe, which brings back my
      old (unanswered) question whether wool crepe resembles anything that
      might have been worn in period (so far I strongly doubt that and
      therefore have not bought any wool crepe).
      And I ordered some of the wool swatches from Denver Fabrics earlier
      today - mainly to see whether it is still something that might be
      bearable in warmer weather after being washed a couple of times.
      And I still need a time machine, trust me. For about a milion things.
      --
      Yours,
      Carolin

      ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
      ~*~ Carolin vom Adlersberg Barony of Storvik, Atlantia ~*~

      [...] Fride unde reht sint sêre wunt.
      diu driu enhabent geleites niht, diu zwei enwerden ê
      gesunt.
      Walter von der Vogelweide

      http://www.adlersberg.net
    • Aoife Ní Rónán
      Message 2 of 17 , May 1 3:35 AM
        Message 3 of 17 , May 1 5:59 AM
          In a recent post on the SCA Garb list (I think it was that list),
          Mistress Thora Sharptooth explained the mechanics of crepe, and that
          creped yarn was used for weaving in the Viking era that she studies.
          Modern "crepe", especially non-wool crepe, is not the same mechanically
          as those fabrics. Modern lightweight wool crepe is made of creped yarns.
          You have to inspect the yardage to see if it is just that - intersecting
          creped yarns without the addition of "specialty" yarns.

          Having said that, just because a fabric was used in one time and place
          does not make it correct for another.

          I am sorry that I missed the early part of this conversation, so I don't
          know what time and place you are thinking about. I do late period
          English, and would consider wool crepe if it met other criteria for a
          particular garment. Please note that I said "consider".

          Hope this helps,

          MD/Marged

          Carolin wrote:
          > The red wool from fashionfabricsclub is crepe, which brings back my old (unanswered) question whether wool crepe resembles anything that might have been worn in period (so far I strongly doubt that and therefore have not bought any wool crepe).>>
        • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
          Message 4 of 17 , May 1 6:32 AM
            At 01:11 AM 5/1/2003 -0400, you wrote:
            >The red wool from fashionfabricsclub is crepe, which brings back my
            >old (unanswered) question whether wool crepe resembles anything that
            >might have been worn in period (so far I strongly doubt that and
            >therefore have not bought any wool crepe).

            Did you check message # 29533 and 29529 in the archives?

            Evidently this message didn't come through yesterday so here it is again:

            In the archives is much information. Please peruse it.

            on the topic of period wools:
            30497 and 30544 and 30623

            29529 and 29548 and 29533 and 29535
            and 29537 (which includes an online source) and 29551

            You can search the archives by topic such as "period wool" or "wool" or
            "appropriate wool" or "good wool" etc. One needn't go through the entire
            archive to find information on a particular subject.

            This is also why it's a good idea to change the subject of a thread once it
            deviates from the original topic - the search that happens when you look
            for something in the abovementioned manner is done by thread title. So if
            we're talking about hair fashions and the discussion moves into hats - the
            subject line needs to be changed to reflect that otherwise that information
            will be difficult to find in the archives.

            Smiles,
            Despina
          • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
            Message 5 of 17 , May 1 6:35 AM
              Yes, this is a reideration of a post contained in the header "lightweight
              wool". I thought it a good idea to restate the information with a header
              that reflects what this post is more specifically about.

              >You can search the archives by topic such as "period wool" or "wool" or
              >"appropriate wool" or "good wool" etc. One needn't go through the entire
              >archive to find information on a particular subject.
              >
              >This is also why it's a good idea to change the subject of a thread once it
              >deviates from the original topic - the search that happens when you look
              >for something in the abovementioned manner is done by thread title. So if
              >we're talking about hair fashions and the discussion moves into hats - the
              >subject line needs to be changed to reflect that otherwise that information
              >will be difficult to find in the archives.

              Smiles,
              Despina
            • sismith42
              Message 6 of 17 , May 1 7:12 AM
                > >This is also why it's a good idea to change the subject of a
                thread once it deviates from the original topic - the search that
                happens when you look for something in the abovementioned manner is
                done by thread title. So if we're talking about hair fashions and
                the discussion moves into hats - the subject line needs to be changed
                to reflect that otherwise that information will be difficult to find
                in the archives.

                Are you sure? I was allways under the impression that the archives
                search feature looked for words in the body of the message, and not
                just the subject line. Certainly meassages titled
                "Re: Digest # [number]" come up, and that's nothing like what I'm
                searching for (most recently, hairnets)!

                That said, it's a good idea to change the subject heading just so
                people know what you're talking about!

                :-) Stefania
              • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                Message 7 of 17 , May 1 7:20 AM

                  Are you sure?  I was allways under the impression that the archives
                  search feature looked for words in the body of the message, and not
                  just the subject line.  Certainly meassages titled
                  "Re: Digest # [number]" come up, and that's nothing like what I'm
                  searching for (most recently, hairnets)!

                  You're correct.  However, it's much simpler to see the header of "Casting" and know that the contents will be about casting rather than seeing the header of "portrait" and going through the message to find that someone said that the necklace was probably made with some sort of casting method.....  Just makes things easier for everyone....

                  Sorry I misspoke.  My brain is jumbled today.

                  Smiles,
                  Despina
                • Carolin
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 1 9:24 AM
                    >At 01:11 AM 5/1/2003 -0400, you wrote:
                    > >The red wool from fashionfabricsclub is crepe, which brings back my
                    > >old (unanswered) question whether wool crepe resembles anything that
                    > >might have been worn in period (so far I strongly doubt that and
                    > >therefore have not bought any wool crepe).
                    >
                    >Did you check message # 29533 and 29529 in the archives?
                    >
                    >Evidently this message didn't come through yesterday so here it is again:
                    >
                    >In the archives is much information. Please peruse it.

                    Thanks Despina,

                    apparently my email has really eaten your message yesterday (which
                    makes me wonder what else gets lost... but that is another issue).
                    And you are absolutely right: there is a lot of info in the archives!
                    I have read all the message - from what I understand it basically
                    boils down to: flannel is always good, suiting might be... and wool
                    crepe is not? (sorry to keep asking that one question over and over
                    again - I feel very stupid by now.) Wool crepe just doesn't seem to
                    be "right" after all I have read in the MoL book and having a vague
                    idea about how wool crepe feels like.
                    (And if you search the archives for "crepe" it only spits out the
                    most recent messages with me whining about not knowing whether it is
                    OOP or not ;)).

                    Sorry for being such a pain
                    Carolin - after giving a talk + discussion that lasted more than 2 hours...

                    ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
                    ~*~ Carolin vom Adlersberg ~*~
                    ~*~ Kingdom of Atlantia http://www.adlersberg.net ~*~

                    [...] Fride unde reht sint sêre wunt.
                    diu driu enhabent geleites niht, diu zwei enwerden ê gesunt.
                    Walter von der Vogelweide
                  • Adrienne
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 1 9:35 AM
                      Lightweight wool doesn't have to be crepe. I have very lightweight wool
                      that has a linen (slubby) weave to it and it's definitely NOT crepe. (I've
                      got that too, btw, much different look and feel to it). I've also seen
                      light weight tabby weave at my local wool supplier that is almost hanky
                      weight (or pretty darned close).

                      Ragna
                    • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 1 9:44 AM
                        At 12:24 PM 5/1/2003 -0400, you wrote:
                        >apparently my email has really eaten your message yesterday (which
                        >makes me wonder what else gets lost... but that is another issue).

                        It's not in the archives either, which says that either yahoo had a serious
                        problem yesterday (which I am inclined to believe) or that my server did
                        (and no one else on the university complained).

                        >And you are absolutely right: there is a lot of info in the archives!
                        >I have read all the message - from what I understand it basically
                        >boils down to: flannel is always good, suiting might be... and wool
                        >crepe is not? (sorry to keep asking that one question over and over
                        >again - I feel very stupid by now.) Wool crepe just doesn't seem to
                        >be "right" after all I have read in the MoL book and having a vague
                        >idea about how wool crepe feels like.

                        That's my take on it pretty much, but do read the information just posted
                        from Mistress Sharptooth about crepe and "Vikings".

                        >(And if you search the archives for "crepe" it only spits out the
                        >most recent messages with me whining about not knowing whether it is
                        >OOP or not ;)).

                        Um, did you look at the top of the messages area? The "next" button is a
                        hot spot for you to go farther back into the archives.

                        Smiles,
                        Despina
                      • Carolin
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 2 5:31 PM
                          ok, as we were discussing fabric anyway and I really have to share
                          this: I just got a package with wonderful upholstery fabric! won on
                          ebay! 5.5yds for $34 incl. shipping! And it's so pretty (a bit on the
                          heavy side which will affect draping...): nice rusty red with golden
                          woven in pattern that looks almost like you can see in many drawings
                          from the 15th c.
                          (http://www.unitedtextilesinc.com/apr03/DSCN201348.jpg) - just
                          because I really need to share ;)) ... and best of all... according
                          to the burn test I just made it seems to be mostly if not 100%
                          cotton! no poly for me! (or only very little)... but this baby will
                          have to sit in my closet until fall... will make a nice houppe for
                          12th night... :) + a nice hennin (already got the organza for the
                          veil) *sigh*
                          Sorry for taking up bandwith with stuff like that, but I think the
                          lesson you can learn from this: sometimes you can find cool fabric on
                          ebay ;)
                          --
                          Yours,
                          Carolin - back to petting her fabric a bit more...