Re: caftan?, was Re: [Authentic_SCA] hello and questions

  • fwydiva@telusplanet.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2003
      : Bebhinn said:
      :
      : >>>Around An Tir, the "Bog Coat" generally means the Norse/Viking caftan

      Magdalena
      : And here we have another "local terminology" issue.  Down here in
      : Ansteorra, I've never heard of a "Norse/Viking caftan."   I might know it by
      : another name.   Would you mind describing it in
      : detail?  It sounds interesting.

      Certainly. :)

      It is, essentially, a rectangular construction coat. Either two rectangles
      sewn at the shoulder with a front opening and attached sleeves with gussets, or
      one really long rectangle folded at the shoulder, etc. Necklines vary from
      round to v-neck-ish, it seems. Mistress Thora Sharptooth has a decent pattern
      for it on her website (http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/vikresource.html).
      It's dead easy to make, easier to manouvre in than a cloak, and quite handy up
      here where it's STILL SNOWING :p

      There is evidence for both men and women in Viking age Nordic cultures wearing
      them (and I'm postulating a theory on the Irish of that period as well). Hagg,
      Ingstad and....someone else whose name I can't think of off the top of my
      head...refer to it as a 'caftan' (which always kind of throws me, 'cause the
      first thing that pops into my mind when I see that word is a weird flowy
      garment worn by aging Hollywood stars in the 70's).

      The (limited) research I've done on the female caftan turned up the following:

      *Generally of wool (the Norse were fond of twills)
      *Often lined (with linen, silk or wool)
      *Held closed at the breast with a brooch
      *Could be embellished with silk ribbon strips, fur and/or occasional embroidery
      *Overall length anywhere from knee to floor (sometimes depicted in art as
      having a train of sorts)

      Sound familiar? :)

      Regards,
      Bebhinn