Re: Recommended Reading?

  • sismith42
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2003
      > I looked in the Files sections in hopes of finding a 'recommended
      reading'
      > list, but alas, there isn't one and I don't have a whole lot of
      time to go
      > back through the archives of all the thousands of messages.

      Hmm... there's a database of good, bad, and medium books set up in
      ageofthecotehardie, which is *just* after your time period; still, it
      might be helpful to you. Not sure why there's not one here...

      As for Naalbinding, have a look at their yahoo group archives; they
      talked about post-viking finds a few months back. I remember someone
      mentioning French (or Italian? drat my steal sieve-like memory!)
      mittens from the 14th century.

      Cheers, Stefania from Harpelstane
    • demontsegur
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 30, 2003
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "sismith42" <sismith42@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hmm... there's a database of good, bad, and medium books set up in
        > ageofthecotehardie, which is *just* after your time period; still,
        it
        > might be helpful to you. Not sure why there's not one here...

        As the person who set those databases up in the ageofthecotehardie
        yahoo group, I must seriously APOLOGIZE to folks for not going back
        to them and re-organizing them in such a way that does not so clearly
        imply that some sources are "all bad" and others are "all good".
        That's simply misleading, I'm afraid. Shades of grey exist
        everywhere...

        Still, there are some *excellent* sources listed there, so have fun
        browsing. And, if folks can, please add your own citations with
        relevant comments. Incidentally, that list is not confined to
        clothing/accessories -- it covers all aspects of European life in the
        mid-to-late 14th century and early 15th century. Books/journal
        articles/etc. on any pertinent subject would be welcomed.

        If you do choose to browse those databases, please pay attention to
        the comments written for each source, for an idea of their strong or
        weak points... I'll eventually re-org those things in a more
        harmonious and big-picture fashion...

        -Marcele
        PS -- I recommend that you read _Le Roman de la Rose_ (Romance of the
        Rose) for a peak at social ideals/interactions as well as tidbits
        about dress (much is symbolic, but it's worth knowing anyway) in mid-
        late 13th century France.
      • TimW
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 30, 2003
          >I looked in the Files sections in hopes of finding a 'recommended
          reading'
          >list, but alas, there isn't one and I don't have a whole lot of
          time to go
          >back through the archives of all the thousands of
          messages.

          You're right.  We really should put together a database of references
          recommended and not recommended.  Great idea!

          Smiles,
          Despina
          [TimW]
           There is a database section on the authentic groups site that does already have a reading list.  Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Authentic_SCA/database