Re: Knives and other stuff...

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2003
      Ii-dono wrote:

      > Doug (SCA name currently unknown--Karen?) is currently working on
      > refining his Japanese forging techniques, and working on forging
      > a tanto for me (which is how I met him).

      His SCA name is Ulfbert the Lesser. (There's a funny story behind that
      -- ask him about it some time.) :)

      > I wish I had the technical skills to really describe what he does.

      He forges knives and swords in various styles. He's been working on
      refining his techniques for the Japanese styles, but does European
      styles as well, from ancient pieces to present-day custom-made cooking
      knives. He also has "open forge days," and a bunch of the local folks
      have been working with him on smaller projects -- my husband has been
      working on a roundel and some eating knives. He's happy to teach
      knifemaking and blacksmithing, so if you're in the area, contact Ii or
      I and we'll get you his contact information. He's worked with folks on
      making other sorts of items as well; I think he'd made a few
      period-style arrowheads at one point.

      He'll also be teaching a class at University of Atlantia in Gambrills,
      MD on June 7 -- "Early Medieval Knife Making" in the 10:00 time slot.
      See http://university.atlantia.sca.org/catalog.html for the full
      catalog for this session of University. And he's also working on an
      article which he plans to submit to the Compleat Anachronist soon. (I
      really ought to remind him about getting that submitted ...)

      Karen