Heian wigs

  • Stephen Higa
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 9, 2000
      Lady Fujiwara, I was wondering about your wig--can you tell us a little
      about it? Did you make it yourself?

      Moshe
      The earth of humankind
      contains all moistness,
      all verdancy,
      all germinating power.

      --Hildegard von Bingen
    • Kass McGann
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 11, 2000
        > Lady Fujiwara, I was wondering about your wig--can you tell us a little
        > about it? Did you make it yourself?

        I did not make it myself, Moshe. In my period, we would have *asked* a
        servant with beautiful hair for a "donation". But in truth, I bought mine
        at wigs.com. It's called "Cher" and I have it in 44" and 72" for special
        ocassions.

        Fujiwara no Aoi
      • Stephen Higa
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 11, 2000
          > I did not make it myself, Moshe. In my period, we would have *asked* a
          > servant with beautiful hair for a "donation".

          Ah, I see... :) I've often been asked to switch hair with people. Mine's
          very curly and people have told me that some ladies would KILL for hair like
          mine...so I watch my back. ;)

          > But in truth, I bought mine
          > at wigs.com. It's called "Cher" and I have it in 44" and 72" for special
          > ocassions.

          hee hee, okay. ;) Do you know how wigs were made back then? Were the ends
          of each individual strand of hair woven into something, or...?

          Moshe
          The earth of humankind
          contains all moistness,
          all verdancy,