Re: [Authentic_SCA] Headcoverings

  • Heather Rose Jones
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 27 8:01 PM
      At 1:32 PM -0500 4/26/03, Grace fitzHugh wrote:
      >I am looking for easy headcoverings for mid 10th century Ireland.
      >Would it be apporpriate for a single woman to wear a simple coif? I
      >see Grace as a simple peasant woman who spends most of her time
      >working as a tapestry weaver for the lady of the manor when she is
      >not working in her own herb garden.

      There are some coif-hood-like-things surviving from 10-11th century
      Dublin, although it would have been dominated by Norse culture rather
      than native Irish culture at that time. They're described in:

      Heckett, Elizabeth. 1990. "Some silk and wool head-coverings from
      Viking Dublin: uses and origins -- an enquiry" in Textiles in
      Northern Archaeology (NESAT Symposium 3) ed. Penelope Walton and
      John-Peter Wild. London.

      I can't go check the publication at the moment to see how much detail
      there is, but the database says there's one in wool and one in silk,
      plus a possible silk headband (definitely silk, possibly headband).
      If you aren't able to track down a copy, drop me a note and I'll see
      about getting a copy to you, or at least a more detailed description.
      (I can't promise to be competent at anything for the next month,
      though -- it's down to the wire on the dissertation. 476 out of 1500
      example sentences glossed!)

      Tangwystyl
      --
      *****