hoop skirt storage

  • Elizabeth
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 24, 2003
      Greetings,

       Does anyone have suggestions on how I might store my hoop skirt? I was thinking about putting two brackets on the wall of my sewing room to act as hooks, and hanging the hoop on that. However I wonder if the weight of the skirt will tweak the hoops out of shape. Any ideas?

       Come to think of it, how will I store it in my tent if I bring it to Pennsic?

      In service,
      Isobel

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 24, 2003
        > Does anyone have suggestions on how I might store my hoop skirt? I was
        > thinking about putting two brackets on the wall of my sewing room to act
        > as hooks, and hanging the hoop on that. However I wonder if the weight of
        > the skirt will tweak the hoops out of shape. Any ideas?

        If the hooks are close enough together, yet far enough apart, it should be
        fine. The hoops that my mother and aunts had when they were teenagers were
        stored in this manner and they held great shape when my sisters and I used
        them 20 years later. You could also pull the bents out and store them
        curled separately from a folded skirt.

        > Come to think of it, how will I store it in my tent if I bring it to
        > Pennsic?

        Make a big bag in which to keep it.

        Smiles,
        Despina
      • ladymorwenna
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 24, 2003
          > Greetings, Does anyone have suggestions on how I might store my
          > hoop skirt? I was thinking about putting two brackets on the wall of
          > my sewing room to act as hooks, and hanging the hoop on that.

          That should work. I admit, I'm lazy and just shove mine into the back
          of my sewing room closet and it's been fine. What material did you use
          for bents?

          > Come to think of it, how will I store it in my tent if I
          > bring it to Pennsic? In service,
          > Isobel

          I store mine flat under the bed.

          --Morwenna
        • Elizabeth
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 24, 2003
             I'm not sure what the bents are made of, I bought it RTW off of eBay. To my untrained eye they look quite sturdy. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them a try.
             I do have one complaint about the skirt however. It is a drawstring waist, and the string cuts into the flesh of my waist fiercely after a full day of wearing it. My corset does not have waist tabs, which I'm sure would make a huge difference. Until I can replace the corset is there anything I can  do to make wearing my hoop skirt less painful?

            thanks again,
            Isobel

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 24, 2003
              > I do have one complaint about the skirt however. It is a drawstring
              > waist, and the string cuts into the flesh of my waist fiercely after a
              > full day of wearing it. My corset does not have waist tabs, which I'm
              > sure would make a huge difference. Until I can replace the corset is
              > there anything I can do to make wearing my hoop skirt less painful?

              Of what is your drawstring made and how wide is it? Mine is a 2 inch wide
              gross grain ribbon and I have no discomfort at all.... I've found that a
              wide gross grain ribbon is much more comfortable as a drawstring than a
              piece of thin ribbon or heavy string.

              Despina
            • ladymorwenna
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 24, 2003
                > I'm not sure what the bents are made of, I bought it RTW off of
                > eBay. To my untrained eye they look quite sturdy.

                They're probably hooping wire -- 2 pieces of sturdy wire in a stiff
                cloth casing. If so, it's pretty sturdy. It can spring back from most
                contortions unless it gets a sharp crease in it. One pointer, hooping
                wire needs U-tips on the ends to keep the wires from poking you. Most
                commercial hoop skirts just crimp the U-tips on and eventually they
                will fall off. Several of my fairies had this problem in the recent
                production of Midsummers. You want to glue them on with a good contact
                cement.

                > I do have one complaint about the
                > skirt however. It is a drawstring waist, and the string cuts into
                > the flesh of my waist fiercely after a full day of wearing it. My
                > corset does not have waist tabs, which I'm sure would make a huge
                > difference. Until I can replace the corset is there anything I can
                > do to make wearing my hoop skirt less painful? thanks again,
                > Isobel

                You can put on a waistband. My current farthengale has a 2
                part waistband that fastens on each side with flat hooks and eyes.
                What a difference! I wore a drawstring farthengale for years and it
                was always slipping or shifting or cutting off the circulation to my
                lower extremeties.

                --Morwenna
              • Arianne de Chateaumichel
                Message 7 of 15 , May 1, 2003
                  Isobel wrote:

                  > ... I do have one complaint about the skirt however. It is a drawstring waist, and the
                  string cuts into the flesh of my waist fiercely after a full day of wearing it. My corset does
                  not have waist tabs, which I'm sure would make a huge difference. Until I can replace
                  the corset is there anything I can do to make wearing my hoop skirt less painful?
                  thanks again,

                  From what I understand (and it's not a period I've done much research on), tabs were
                  the last step in the construction of a corset, added on after everything else was done.
                  So your best (and easiest) fix would be to add tabs to your corset. Replacing the
                  drawstring with a wider one might fix the problem, but it also might just roll up and be
                  more annoying.

                  Your Servant,
                  Lady Arianne de Chateaumichel

                  Shire of Starhaven,
                  Kingdom of Trimaris

                  On the web at <http://www.chateau-michel.org>
                • Ariane Helou
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 1, 2003
                    Arianne wrote:
                    > From what I understand (and it's not a period I've done much research
                    > on), tabs were
                    >the last step in the construction of a corset, added on after everything
                    >else was done.
                    >So your best (and easiest) fix would be to add tabs to your
                    >corset. Replacing the
                    >drawstring with a wider one might fix the problem, but it also might just
                    >roll up and be
                    >more annoying.

                    Actually, I've learned just the opposite...(even though it is a period I've
                    done much research on in other topics, clothing is an area I've only just
                    barely started to explore, and in the case of the corset I'm just passing
                    on what I've heard from other people...so if I'm wrong feel free to correct
                    me). Apparently the boning usually extended down into the tabs - which
                    makes sense, as far as relieving pressure on the waist, because even if you
                    take the corset and stick the tags on the end, there's still going to be
                    the seam around the waist where it digs in. With the boned tabs, it's all
                    in one piece, so you get a smoother waist line (I imagine) with a much less
                    pronounced bend or crease where it might dig in uncomfortably. Drea Leed's
                    webpage has instructions for making that kind of corset...I'm working on
                    one now, actually. It's a great deal less difficult than I had feared.
                    :-) I'll be wearing it next weekend, so we'll see how much of an
                    improvement it is on my first (tabless, waist-pinching) corset...

                    Vittoria
                  • Sarah de Lorriane
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 1, 2003
                      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Ariane Helou <ahelou@u...> wrote:
                      > Arianne wrote:
                      > > From what I understand (and it's not a period I've done much research
                      > > on), tabs were
                      > >the last step in the construction of a corset, added on after everything
                      > >else was done.
                      > >So your best (and easiest) fix would be to add tabs to your
                      > >corset. Replacing the
                      > >drawstring with a wider one might fix the problem, but it also might just
                      > >roll up and be
                      > >more annoying.
                      >
                      > Actually, I've learned just the opposite...(even though it is a period I've
                      > done much research on in other topics, clothing is an area I've only just
                      > barely started to explore, and in the case of the corset I'm just passing
                      > on what I've heard from other people...so if I'm wrong feel free to correct
                      > me). Apparently the boning usually extended down into the tabs - which
                      > makes sense, as far as relieving pressure on the waist, because even if you
                      > take the corset and stick the tags on the end, there's still going to be
                      > the seam around the waist where it digs in. With the boned tabs, it's all
                      > in one piece, so you get a smoother waist line (I imagine) with a much less
                      > pronounced bend or crease where it might dig in uncomfortably. Drea Leed's
                      > webpage has instructions for making that kind of corset...I'm working on
                      > one now, actually. It's a great deal less difficult than I had feared.
                      > :-) I'll be wearing it next weekend, so we'll see how much of an
                      > improvement it is on my first (tabless, waist-pinching) corset...

                      You're both right. ;)

                      We have precisely two extant corsets from the whole of the 16th century (really, one
                      that's accuritely dated to the latter 1590's and another that's estimated to be
                      somewhere between 1590-1620, depending on who you trust). The more accuritely
                      dated of the two corsets, Pfalzgrafin Dorothea Sabina's, was placed in the grave in
                      1598, and it has the tabs added on after the corset body was boned (Hunnisett calls
                      them "tassets"). Queen Elizabeth I's effigy corset, which may or may not be pre-1600
                      (Arnold seems fairly confident that it's original, even though the rest of the
                      undergarments displayed on the effigy were replaced sometime in the 18th century)
                      has boned tabs. Either way, neither is 100% conclusive evidence that one method was
                      favored over the other, becuase we haven't got any other extant corsets to compare
                      with these two (and then there's the added issue with regional differences... One
                      corset is German, the other is English).

                      Another added quirk is that while the effigy corset bears a striking resemblence to
                      Elizabeth Vernon's undies in her portrait painted c. 1600 (http://
                      www.boughtonhouse.org.uk/htm/gallery2/paintings/countessofsoton.htm) as far as
                      shape goes, it appears Vernon's corset has tassets, not boned tabs.

                      The point is that both versions are assumed correct for the extreme latter years of the
                      16th century until proven otherwise. :)

                      Sarah
                    • loreleimorte@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 1, 2003
                        In a message dated 5/1/2003 4:22:23 PM Central Standard Time, lithiate@... writes:

                        We have precisely two extant corsets from the whole of the 16th century (really, one
                        that's accuritely dated to the latter 1590's and another that's estimated to be
                        somewhere between 1590-1620, depending on who you trust).

                        Why we need to start diggin up dead people. SOMEBODY must be wearing a corset that survived nasty dead people ickiness. Get me a shovel, I'll do it.

                        Sarra Wryght
                        http://www.livejournal.com/users/loreleisedai/
                      • sismith42
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                          > Why we need to start diggin up dead people. SOMEBODY must be
                          wearing a corset
                          > that survived nasty dead people ickiness. Get me a shovel, I'll do
                          it.

                          funny you should mention this... last night, I saw a book that
                          basically took people from an Italian Crypt (monks & noblity, burried
                          from the 15th century to the early 20th..), and wired them up
                          as "living dead". All senses of desecration and lack of respect for
                          the earthly remains of somebody's ancestors aside, this book didn't
                          seem to have many bodies displayed from the 15th or 16th centuries*
                          :( Some interesting 19th century costumes were preseted, though.

                          Stefania

                          *as far as I could tell. the guys wraped in cloth could have been
                          from anytime, but I doubt people wore what basically ammounted to a
                          sheet wraped around, holding the arms & legs together...
                        • Manly Summerfield
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                            > funny you should mention this... last night, I saw a book that
                            > basically took people from an Italian Crypt (monks & noblity, burried
                            > from the 15th century to the early 20th..), and wired them up
                            > as "living dead". All senses of desecration and lack of respect for
                            > the earthly remains of somebody's ancestors aside, this book didn't
                            > seem to have many bodies displayed from the 15th or 16th centuries*
                            > :( Some interesting 19th century costumes were preseted, though.
                            >
                            > Stefania

                            Hi! Are you talking about the Palermo Mummies? If so Id love to know what
                            book you found. Did it have good photos? I love costumes, I love mummies and
                            these particular mummies are extra fasinating. The monestary started
                            excepting regular people to be mummified in 1599 and they closed it in 1920.
                            So with the 1599 . . Thats right darn at the end of our period so there has
                            to be SOMEONE in that tomb we could look at.

                            Muirgheal
                          • sismith42
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                              > Hi! Are you talking about the Palermo Mummies? If so Id love to
                              know what
                              > book you found. Did it have good photos? I love costumes, I love
                              mummies and
                              > these particular mummies are extra fasinating. The monestary started
                              > excepting regular people to be mummified in 1599 and they closed it
                              in 1920.
                              > So with the 1599 . . Thats right darn at the end of our period so
                              there has
                              > to be SOMEONE in that tomb we could look at.
                              >
                              > Muirgheal

                              Hi Muirgheal,
                              I don;t remember where the mummies came from, but will get that
                              info (plus pertinant bibliographical info) when I'm downtown this
                              weekend...

                              Stefania
                            • ladymorwenna
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                                > Hi! Are you talking about the Palermo Mummies? If so Id love to know
                                > what book you found. Did it have good photos? I love costumes, I
                                > love mummies and these particular mummies are extra fasinating. The
                                > monestary started excepting regular people to be mummified in 1599
                                > and they closed it in 1920. So with the 1599 . . Thats right darn at
                                > the end of our period so there has to be SOMEONE in that tomb we
                                > could look at.
                                >
                                > Muirgheal

                                The current issue of Archaeology magazine has an article on the
                                Palermo mummies. There's an abstract and further reading on-line.
                                http://www.archaeology.org/magazine.php?page=0305/abstracts/palermo

                                --Morwenna
                              • hasoferet@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                                  In a message dated 5/2/2003 3:03:04 AM Pacific Standard Time, sismith42@... writes:

                                  funny you should mention this... last night, I saw a book that
                                  basically took people from an Italian Crypt (monks & noblity, burried
                                  from the 15th century to the early 20th..), and wired them up
                                  as "living dead".  All senses of desecration and lack of respect for
                                  the earthly remains of somebody's ancestors aside, this book didn't
                                  seem to have many bodies displayed from the 15th or 16th centuries*
                                  :( Some interesting 19th century costumes were preseted, though.

                                  Stefania

                                  *as far as I could tell.  the guys wraped in cloth could have been
                                  from anytime, but I doubt people wore what basically ammounted to a
                                  sheet wraped around, holding the arms & legs together...

                                  Uhhh...I'm aware that there are European churches where the dead are displayed decoratively, but I was raised in a tradition where you put them in the ground and leave them there. Doing my best not to shudder and twitch.

                                  Raquel