Outline for the 'Big Bliaut Paper'

  • Chris and Maura
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 24, 2003
      Apologies if this is seen repeatedly, as I've posted it to three lists.

      For those who are interested, this is the outline for the next evolution
      of my paper on Norman dress (which encompasses my articles on headdress,
      accessories and the infamous bliaut). The paper will take some time, but
      I think i've finally got a framework I'm happy with. I just got this
      written up a few days ago and I thought I'd throw it out for feedback.
      Questions/constructive criticism welcome.

      The paper will be fairly heavily illustrated, but almost exclusively
      with redrawings done by me (there will also be original illustrations by
      me). This is to reduce costs, since I don't expect to be able to publish
      it. HOWEVER I am taking great pains to make the redrawings as accurate
      as possible, including making drawings after several photographs of a
      given source.

      Marguerie de Jauncourt
      Maura Folsom

      -----------------

      Draft Outline for research paper on Norman dress

      Introduction
      Intentions of author
      Description of approach
      Explanation of techniques used

      Section 1: Survey of Sources
      Artwork
      Stonework: Statuary and Relief Carvings
      Painted works: Illuminations and Wall Paintings
      Textile works: Tapestries and Embroideries
      Graph of characteristics found in contemporary artwork
      Textual sources
      Fiction: Poetry and Romances
      Nonfiction: Biographical Works and Contemporary Letters
      Graph of characteristics found in contemporary texts
      Archaeological sources
      Examples of earlier periods
      Examples of the period (fragmentary)
      Examples of later periods
      Graph of characteristics found in archaeological sources
      Conclusions
      Overall graph of sources and characteristics
      Timeline showing probable evolution of this type of dress
      Simplified theory based on research

      Section 2: Theories on Construction
      How I got here from there: Description of methods used to
      determine my theories
      Logical deduction
      Physical experiment (making examples)
      General Construction Methods
      An Explanation of Rectangular Construction
      Measuring and basic cutting
      Putting in gores
      Putting in gussets
      Neckline Types (cutting diagrams)
      Slit-v type
      Keyhole type
      Round type (also called rotated keyhole)
      Sleeve Types (cutting diagrams)
      Narrow
      Maunch type I (turnback)
      Maunch Type II (pendant cuff)
      Pleated square cuff
      'Angelwing'
      Knotted (dual-opening sleeve)
      Overview of Ornament Placement
      Waist seam
      Hem
      Cuff
      Bicep
      Neckline
      Undergarments 'Chainse'
      Description and Explanation of garment
      Instructions for making
      Cutting Diagrams
      Undergown (laced or unlaced)
      Description and Explanation of garment
      Instructions for making
      Cutting Diagrams
      Loose (unlaced, pullover type) Gowns
      Description and Explanation of garment
      Instructions for making
      Cutting Diagrams
      Laced Overgown Type I 'Bliaut' pleated skirt - earlier?
      Description and Explanation of garment
      Instructions for making
      Cutting Diagrams
      Laced Overgown Type II 'Bliaut' gored tunic - later?
      Description and Explanation of garment
      Instructions for making
      Cutting Diagrams

      Section 3: Accessories
      Mantles
      Description and Explanation of garment
      Instructions for making
      Cutting Diagrams
      Girdles 'ceintures'
      Description and Explanation of item
      Instructions for making
      illustrations of patterns shown in artwork
      Headdress
      Graph of characteristics found in artwork
      Descriptions from contemporary texts
      Explanation of theories on hairstyles and accessories
      Methods and Instructions for hairstyles found
      Three-strand Plaits
      Two-strand Plaits
      Bound Plaits
      Theories on hair extensions
      Braid weights
      Illustrations and descriptions
      Graph of occurences and presumed occurences
      Use and making of
      Veils
      Illustrations and descriptions
      Graph of occurences of various types
      Use and making of
      Cutting Diagrams
      Fillets and crowns
      Illustrations and descriptions
      Graph of occurences and presumed occurences
      Use and making of
      Shoes
      Description and Explanation of item
      Graph of characteristics found in artwork
      Descriptions from contemporary texts
      Use and making of
      (short overview, notes on where to locate information on
      making period shoes)
      Jewelry
      Illustrations and descriptions
      Graph of occurences of various types
      Use and making of
      (short overview, notes on where to locate information on
      making simple jewelry)

      Footnotes
      Detailed list of illustrations including sources of originals
      Bibliography
      Suggested further reading (includes books in Bibliography)
      Glossary
    • demontsegur
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 24, 2003
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Chris and Maura
        <chrisandmaura@n...> wrote:
        > I think i've finally got a framework I'm happy with. I just got this
        > written up a few days ago and I thought I'd throw it out for
        feedback.
        > Questions/constructive criticism welcome.

        Well, you've got ME salivating, so bring it on! <grin> Seriously,
        when you are finished, I'd be delighted to read what you have. I
        can't make any suggestions for your outline, but I presume from the
        detail and the number of topics that this is a tad bigger than just
        a 'paper'. A paper implies 5 to 50 pages of single-sided, double-
        spaced mono-spaced font (in my mind). It sounds to me like you are
        writing a book. :^) That's good... we like books here.

        -Marcele
      • Maura Folsom
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 24, 2003
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "demontsegur" <demontsegur@y...>
          wrote:
          > Well, you've got ME salivating, so bring it on! <grin> Seriously,
          > when you are finished, I'd be delighted to read what you have. I
          > can't make any suggestions for your outline, but I presume from the
          > detail and the number of topics that this is a tad bigger than just
          > a 'paper'. A paper implies 5 to 50 pages of single-sided, double-
          > spaced mono-spaced font (in my mind). It sounds to me like you are
          > writing a book. :^) That's good... we like books here.

          <mock horror> Book!?! Oh no! I can't write a book! I'm not qualified!

          Histrionics aside, I'll just pretend that I'm not writing a book, as
          it will be less intimidating. I suppose that's why I'm calling it a
          paper, too. It's much easier to get my head around a 'paper' than a
          'book', even though the 'handout' draft I did ended up being 12 or 14
          pages (aren't handouts supposed to be 1 or 2 pages?). So, I suppose,
          it *is* a book. <sigh> I must be trying to make up for dropping out of
          college, subconsciously. Or something.

          However, as it's taken me three or more years to get here from where I
          started, it will be some time before I have anything like a finished
          product. Don't be disappointed, though - I need proofreaders and peer
          reviewers. Who better but those who are already interested?

          Stay tuned. <slightly frightened grin>

          Marguerie