Re: Snood

  • BunnyCat
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2003
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Jan C. Lane" <jclane@t...>
      wrote:
      > Just a quick comment on putting up your long hair...
      >
      > Before I cut it, my hair was down to my hips. It's naturally
      curly, so was
      > interesting to work with, since I refuse to blow-dry. I found that
      the long
      > "roller" hair pins held my hair much better regular "bobby" pins.
      I could
      > use two long roller pins, put them under my chignon in a cross
      pattern, and
      > my hair stayed put. Another tip...twist your hair just tightly
      enough to
      > make the chignon. Don't twist it so tightly it becomes a rope.
      It's easier
      > to get the pins into hair that's more loosely twisted, and they're
      less
      > likely to pop out.
      >
      > I keep toying with the idea of growing my hair back out again, but
      my
      > current cropped style is soooooo much easier to take care of.
      *sigh*

      > Happy coifing,
      >
      > Jannifer

      Yikes...
      My hair isn't very fond of pins, elastics, rolls, spray, or anything
      else designed to keep it in place... ;)
      It is wavy - neither curly nor straight - and will reach my knees in
      another 6-8 inches. :D
      While it is certainly not thick, it's far from 'silky', and so nobody
      who's played around with my hair can understand why it's so difficult
      to keep in place. They try to pin it or braid it or do _something_
      with it, and usually end up doing it thrice over - with added cursing
      on the last go.
      For everyday use, I just wear it in a single, three-part braid. I've
      thought about doing two, and then wrapping them around my head, but I
      haven't decided how I should secure them if I do.

      What was the common custom for women who were betrothed, but not yet
      married? Covered hair or not?
      And if this changed, (*seems to recall lots of bareheaded viking-
      matrons*,) when and why did it change? Was it the rise of
      Christianity?

      What timeperiod would a 'braid around the head' fit into? Should I,
      as an engaged woman, wear a veil?

      Cheers,
      GrayMinerva
    • Jan C. Lane
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2003
        GrayMinerva,

        I'd say the problem with putting your hair up is the sheer weight of that
        much length. If you do the wrapped braids thing, pin the rounds as you go.
        Try using chignon pins rather than regular bobby pins. Chignon pins are a
        more open U shape than bobby pins and will stay in better.

        Happy coifing,

        Jannifer
        who's only slightly envious of your hair...just a little...really