Re: Sumptuary Laws

  • xina007eu
    Message 1 of 55 , Apr 1, 2003
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "sismith42" <sismith42@y...>
      wrote:

      > > dubious. And peers' circlets are just right out ....
      >
      > What's a peer's circlet?
      >
      > > this isn't a good idea. But a lot of the time, it just seems like
      > > sumptuary laws are just an excuse for small-minded people to be
      > rude.
      >
      > I agree. I've had it explained to me elsewhere that such laws "add
      > to the ambiance, and help with the feel and..." I dunno. I think
      > it's just another way to add snobbery and such to events.
      >
      > :P Stefania

      One person's snobbery is another person's authenticity ...

      From http://www-
      personal.une.edu.au/~tdawson/levantia/glasshouses.html:

      "[...] Or any other aspect of social forms, which many scholars would
      say are more important differences between the middle ages and
      renaissance and the present than material things. Their duct-tape and
      rattan not-withstanding, the S.C.A. makes a better representation of
      that side of the past, as they march to war in their shires, baronies
      and kingdoms, and in the acts of obsequiousness performed in order to
      gain the attention of those higher up the hierarchy. There is an
      organic social dynamic at work there, which closely approximates that
      of the middle ages and renaissance, in spirit, if not in detail."

      There are several interesting essays about historical
      reenactment/recreation on this guy's site.

      Best regards,

      Christina
    • Satine De La Courcel
      Message 55 of 55 , Dec 28, 2005
        The Courtesans in Venice wore Pearls even though they were strictly for
        nobility and clergy.. the fine for doing such an act is compared to todays
        speeding tickets... you generally pay the fine but Keep speeding... the
        Courtesans paid their fines and wore pearls anyway.

        Satine
        Pearls enthisuast