Re: Sumptuary Laws

  • demontsegur
    Message 1 of 55 , Apr 1 8:12 AM
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "sismith42" <sismith42@y...>
      wrote:
      > I agree. I've had it explained to me elsewhere that such laws "add
      > to the ambiance, and help with the feel and..." I dunno. I think
      > it's just another way to add snobbery and such to events.

      Unfortunately, it's often not historically appropriate, either. I'm
      cool with the whole crown thing, and the white belt and gold spurs of
      the knight, but beyond that, we're getting into SCA-specific culture,
      and sometimes it's hard to understand the logic or to play along when
      it's arbitrary and specific. After all, we're all ostensibly "my
      lord" or "my lady" upon entry into the SCA, regardless of
      armigerous 'title'. Any lord or lady of means would probably be
      wearing fine metals, fine furs, and other decorative materials in
      period -- which is why the whole 'circlets are reserved' seems moot
      to me. I suppose I should not even bring up the fact that sumptuary
      laws existed in period to be broken -- flagrantly and constantly. :^)

      Marcele
    • Satine De La Courcel
      Message 55 of 55 , Dec 28, 2005
        The Courtesans in Venice wore Pearls even though they were strictly for
        nobility and clergy.. the fine for doing such an act is compared to todays
        speeding tickets... you generally pay the fine but Keep speeding... the
        Courtesans paid their fines and wore pearls anyway.

        Satine
        Pearls enthisuast