Re: Sumptuary Laws

  • sismith42
    Message 1 of 55 , Apr 1, 2003
      > dubious. And peers' circlets are just right out ....

      What's a peer's circlet?

      > this isn't a good idea. But a lot of the time, it just seems like
      > sumptuary laws are just an excuse for small-minded people to be
      rude.

      I agree. I've had it explained to me elsewhere that such laws "add
      to the ambiance, and help with the feel and..." I dunno. I think
      it's just another way to add snobbery and such to events.

      :P Stefania
    • Satine De La Courcel
      Message 55 of 55 , Dec 28, 2005
        The Courtesans in Venice wore Pearls even though they were strictly for
        nobility and clergy.. the fine for doing such an act is compared to todays
        speeding tickets... you generally pay the fine but Keep speeding... the
        Courtesans paid their fines and wore pearls anyway.

        Satine
        Pearls enthisuast